Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another electrical question from me...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mister ed
Thank you again JK-Ford for keeping stuff fairly simple for me. My brain thanks you.
I guess that being more familiar with the application of electrical gear has some benifits over the more technical side of this business. I probably should ( and wish I did) know as much as these other guys. But I'm smart enough to know what will work and what will not. And I enjoy helping my friends build their rigs. Enjoy your lights my friend "mister ed"

cmg
125VDC@3A would probably turn this switch into a smoking pile and would easily put someone in the hospital (if not kill them)
Well I guess that it is a very good thing that we are only dealing with 12v here.

cmg
while 125VAC is about what most of us have in our house here in the US and will do little more than sting you.

Sounds to me like you have no idea how little current it takes to stop a heart.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Back at ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law

Nice try though, but unfortunately still a fail.
I really hope you dont get all your info from wiki.
http://www.ohms-law.info/
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I guess that being more familiar with the application of electrical gear has some benifits over the more technical side of this business. I probably should ( and wish I did) know as much as these other guys. But I'm smart enough to know what will work and what will not. And I enjoy helping my friends build their rigs. Enjoy your lights my friend "mister ed"

Well I guess that it is a very good thing that we are only dealing with 12v here.

Sounds to me like you have no idea how little current it takes to stop a heart.
You know its funny how people worry about voltage when its the current they should really look at the amperage. Such a small amount to stop your heart.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by myz28u
You know its funny how people worry about voltage when its the current they should really look at the amperage. Such a small amount to stop your heart.
Ya, I started by complimenting these guys on their knoledgd. Maybe I should retract that.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ya, I started by complimenting these guys on their knoledgd. Maybe I should retract that.
Haha. I find that everyone knows everything about electronics when you talk to them.
Its amazing how wrong people are and they spread their wrongness all over the internet and infect average people with ignorance. People are too lazy to go to class and actually learn something. Theyd rather google it and just accept the first thing that pops up is fact.

Last edited by myz28u; 07-12-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

People have been killed sticking a knife into a toaster.

When I was 13, I was zapped by 9,000 volts @ 1mA. It threw me over the back of my chair, but didn't kill me.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
People have been killed sticking a knife into a toaster.

When I was 13, I was zapped by 9,000 volts @ 1mA. It threw me over the back of my chair, but didn't kill me.
I've been in the electrical trade for a very long time. I have been up close and personal with 120v, 277v and a 15KW neon transformer. And, yes "CMA", it does sting ( to say the least ). But, like most, the current was not passed thru my heart. So I'll consider myself lucky.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I cant imagine how tesla felt back in the day. With all the knowledge available today we still fight back and forth trying to convince each other whats right and wrong. i bet tesla and edison really had it out in their hay day.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

I cant imagine how tesla felt back in the day. With all the knowledge available today we still fight back and forth trying to convince each other whats right and wrong. i bet tesla and edison really had it out in their hay day.
Unfortunately, being wrong is still a very big part of learning. But this is serious shiN here. And I hope and pray that nobody learns from this guy.

Originally Posted by cmg
125VAC is about what most of us have in our house here in the US and will do little more than sting you. CG
Old 07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I really hope you dont get all your info from wiki.
http://www.ohms-law.info/
LOL!!! NO....that link you provided is a much more reliable source......LOL!!!

Contact our system administrator, Kelley Anderson at info@ohms-law.info for any questions or comments.
So who is "Kelley Anderson" and what makes him the authority on Ohm's Law? Just because he created a website with a URL of ohms-law.info??? Really man??? Really??? This is how you want to play the game??? Ok then....hold on tight.

Actually ohms law is E=IxR. Electrical engineer would know you dont use v for volts it E For electromagnetic force which is the correct term for voltage.
Just saying if you are gonna correct someone at least be correct yourself.
Just saying.....if you're gonna correct someone.......

Quoted from the link YOU provided:
Voltage (V): Measured in Volts, also known as Electromotive Force (EMF).
That's "Electromotive"....NOT "Electromagnetic" Force. Electromagnetic Force is known as FLUX.....and guess what unit "Flux" is measured in??? Webers and what is flux density measure in? The "Tesla".....Named after the same guy you just referred to in your previous post. You really showed how smart you are with your Electronics knowledge, now didn't ya??? Nice going genius.

and by the way.....since you provided that link....READ that statement I just quoted from that link you provided one more time....."VOLTAGE (V) also known as Electromotive (E)"......would mean that V is equal to E, thus the equation I originally presented as Ohm's law and you tried to critique goes to give E=V=I/R. Thus V and E are equivalents and are therefore interchangeable.

Its amazing how wrong people are and they spread their wrongness all over the internet and infect average people with ignorance.
Yeah....it is truly amazing, how you are actually referring to yourself when you make that statement.

You guys not only insulted Joules by calling his law, "Ohm's Law"....but you follow that up by insulting one of the greatest Electrical engineers of all, Nikola Tesla and the Physicist Wilhelm Eduard Weber by referring to "Electromagnetic" force as Voltage.

Please keep going.....let's see if you can manage to insult Faraday, Joseph Henry and Maxwell next with your feeble minds.
HACKS....F'ing HACKS!!!!

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Another electrical question from me...