Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Android Tablet Install

Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Tablet Install

Ive out grown the love of my dvd player in my JK, and quite honestly am bored out of my mind. So I've decided to put an Android based tablet in. I know there has been a few threads started about this, which is where the idea and some of the concepts came from, but I wanted to share with you all about how I am going about this. I am fairly good with wiring aftermarket stereos but not the best so this will be a challenge to me. Keep in mind that I am a going to college so some of the parts could be higher quality, and it may not be the fanciest install ever but I'll do my best. Ya got to do it with what you can. This will be a small process as i figure it out and get parts. I'm trying to make it look mostly stock while being fairly easily removable. I decided to do the write-up after the first stages of this so I'm missing some from the wiring stage, but will fix that later (read on, youll see).

Im starting off with the following parts:
-A double din dash kit
-A PAC C2R-CHY4 (this is used to turn on the factory amp and make the speaker connection like a regular radio)
Side note: according to the jeep wiring diagram there are only two sets of wires for the speakers, front right and front left
-A cigarette lighter power adaptor 12v input, 5v 2.1amp output (the one I chose has 4 usb outputs)
-12v bluetooth reciever (Amazon.com : Bluetooth Car, Boat, Spa Stereo Receiver Adaptor-Converter-Receiver-Dongle 12V : Car Electronics)
-Most importantly the tablet. A Verizon version of the LG GPAD 8.3lte that I got for Christmas.

First I mocked up and measured and looked at many different ways of mounting the pad so It looks good and is easy to remove. I placed the pad behind the factory dash opening and it was just a little too wide/tall. The factory dash opening is smaller in both directions to see the whole screen and it wouldn't have been easy to remove. So with a little contemplation I decided to use the case that I got with it (the case splits in half and is fairly slim) and rivet it to the double din dash kit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0124152107.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	593487 Click image for larger version

Name:	0124152112.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	593488 Click image for larger version

Name:	0124152112a.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	593490

For the power and audio interface I cut a RCA cable to get the other end for the bluetooth adapter and soldered that to the FL and FR sepaker wire. Than soldered the (key part) 12v acc wire from the PAC, power wire from the bluetooth adapter, and the amp remote wire from the PAC (turns on the factory amp) to the power part of the cigarette adapter, and the ground wire from the PAC and the ground to the bluetooth to the ground lug on power adapter. I was going to attempt to use a wireless charger for the power to the pad, but after a little research the pad doesn't accept qi charging. After finding that out I figured that just running a cable to the pad would be the only route. Forgot to take pictures of all the wiring before I wrote all this.

So after wiring, and with the pad being bigger than the hole I wanted to test the sound and make sure it works before I riveted it to the dash kit. Voila, it works. But with one problem. The sound is quiet. With the sound on the pad at full volume, the actual sound coming out of the speakers is only at say a 3/10 max. So I must do some research about adding a preamp booster or something.

For the time being I still wanted to use the system so I continued on riveting the case to the dash and will have to pull it off when I figure out the sound problem. I measured out and marked the case so it was even in the dash and drilled the holes. One rivet on each side and it looked and felt solid. slapped the pad in and it looks good... to me at least.

Name:	0124152117a.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	593495 Click image for larger version

Name:	0124152117b.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	593496

Kinda long winded I know. If you have any ideas on the sound or any questions or want more pics let me know.

Last edited by JW JK; 01-24-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after a little more research and asking around I came up with this

I am going to add a line driver between the bluetooth receiver and the PAC harness (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Name:	LD10.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	593735

And for an easy way to control the volume I saw this and figured I'd give it a try. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Name:	LC1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	593736

Both these are ordered and when they get here I'll do another update and snap some pictures of all the wiring.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but all this seems like a waste of money. If you got the money to waste, that's fine. That's what you want to do. That's great! Its your jeep, I'm not hating.
I'm just saying, aren't there other stereos out there that are pretty much android? Couldn't you use one of them instead of buying all these adapters and wiring harnesses for a tablet.?
That's cool, its your jeep, your money...... but I would be putting that money into something else.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
I'm sorry, but all this seems like a waste of money. If you got the money to waste, that's fine. That's what you want to do. That's great! Its your jeep, I'm not hating.
I'm just saying, aren't there other stereos out there that are pretty much android? Couldn't you use one of them instead of buying all these adapters and wiring harnesses for a tablet.?
That's cool, its your jeep, your money...... but I would be putting that money into something else.
Your good. Im all for comment on what you think. So far I am less than $100 into this because the tablet was a gift so the money isnt as bad as you think. My thinking behind this is that all of the stereos from name brand companies that come close to doing what this does, i.e. navigation, internet, videos, bluetooth obd ii connectivity, are highly expensive and dont do all of that. The stereos that claim that they are Android based are found on amazon and ebay and just seem cheap to me so I didnt want to invest the ~$300 on that. I appreciate your feedback very much though!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it detachable? Looks eye candy for thieves
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea its 100% detachable. The case splits in half and the back half stays attached to the dash. this way it can be taken off and stowed away or taken with you.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

im in the middle of building min.

im doing a nexus 7 in dash, pioneer bt headunit in glove box.

all sound and what not go through pioneer, its all controlled by the tablet. no need for all those special adapters. just turn on bluetooth and away you go.

simple. easy. cost effective.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jksteve2013
im in the middle of building min.

im doing a nexus 7 in dash, pioneer bt headunit in glove box.

all sound and what not go through pioneer, its all controlled by the tablet. no need for all those special adapters. just turn on bluetooth and away you go.

simple. easy. cost effective.
How did you mount yours out of curiosity. When looking at other peoples and trying to decide on mine that was the hardest part for me
Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 PM
iox
JK Newbie

With android supporting external input devices, you might find a trackball mouse strategically placed a big help when trying to navigate through the system. Personal preference, really, but thought I'd mention the idea.

Quick Reply: Android Tablet Install