Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

amp decision

Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp decision

Hi all,
I've got my amplifier choices down to 2 models. Anyone have experience with:
power acoustik RZ5-2500D
or
polk PAD5000.5
?
Either choice will be fed from a kenwood dnx691hd and will push polk db6501 components and db651 coaxials. I'm planning on a shallow mount sub in a custom box similar to the JL stealth. I like the lower price of the power acoustik, but can't find many reviews of it. I trust the polk brand more being a DEI mainstream brand.
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When in doubt, check the specs carefully.

Do the power ratings of the amps really compare apples to apples?

Which amp has the lowest distortion specs? The one with lower distortion is going to sound better, everything else being equal.

A quality amp can be a long-term investment, so don't shy away from getting the good stuff. I have some quality amps that have been running for 20 years.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the jl audio 900/5. It's power rating is really understated. It also plays super clean and keeps the power with voltage changes. This is a big advantage over a lot of amps. My system is so clean and I Have yet to max it out Too loud. And I'm a drummer that loves loud and rockin!
Good amp and good component speakers will make a huge difference. Also I'm not a big fan of the shallow subs. When the top is off you may not be happy with the bass. Go JL subs.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Could always go with a ppi900.5. Or get the 900.4 and their 900-1000w monoblock
Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

I had my mind made up on the Alpine 5 channel. I was convinced to give Arc Audio a shot. Good reviews, few dollars cheaper to use on next mod. Give it a look.

Quick Reply: amp decision