Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Am I the only one who hates the soundbar?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today is the first day I've had the top up... because of the CA wildfires. Maybe tonight I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Take the top off and go down the highway... I'm curious to see if that strip of steel (looks thin enough) running across the top of the soundbar will whistle now....

Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit my head on the darn thing (or the roll bar). I think they designed the Wrangler for short people

So..., has anyone seen an improvement in the sound with different speakers? I concerned the signal is not full width anyway.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Does anyone know what the max watts on the soundbar speakers are? I am thinking of running a small amp to them and use the speaker output from the HU to drive it..
If you're going to go that far, you might as well replace the stock speakers. A pair will set you back about $100, but you'll see a huge difference in sound.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benmar2000
You know that is true.. Then I will know for sure what the wattage rating is..
I swapped my HU, it made such a huge differance. The stock HU has reduced output for the rear speakers, not sure why. The aftermarket HU sound 100% better, speakers are next.
I am still trying to figure out a subwoofer...not sure where to put it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some have posted in the past that they have replaced the speakers and are pleased with the results. If you replace with another full range Dynamat would not be necessary because you won't get a lot of air loss, don't need the seal. It would take a pretty dynamic speaker to make a difference up front but might make better sound for the back. I am saving my lunch money for Focal Utopia Be's. GL with the deconstruction dude.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought 4 6.5" infinity surround speakers from best buy, it was a buy one pair get the other pair free deal. I love the sound. much better then the stock ones, and even better then the stock infinity ones.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am still trying to figure out a subwoofer...not sure where to put it.
How about under the seat? Maybe something like this Blaupunkt?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been driving with the top down and the sound bar removed for days. There is no whistling at any speed, even highway, from the remaining metal bar.

I still plan on taking before and after pictures for this thread to show the improved view for the second row.

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Take the top off and go down the highway... I'm curious to see if that strip of steel (looks thin enough) running across the top of the soundbar will whistle now....

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default About 6 months later....

If anyone remembers this thread, I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures.

Before

After : LOOK, they're blinded by the sun now! Perfect!

It looks pretty clean. It's not obvious in the pictures but it really opens the back seat up to the elements.

I decided to keep the soundbar in case my wife sells it if I die first. (I'd never sell the Jeep.) Also, I removed the original dome light and drilled two holes to mount it in the cross bar. The wires are all hidden in the padding and the cross bar. It's not the cleanest look, but it gets the job done.

Last edited by scoolbz; 04-12-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
interesting . . ..

if your roll cage is painted (part of mine isn't!!!!) i'd ditch the black covers too.

and on another note. WOW, that cross bar REALLY doesn't look very strong!!!!!! makes me worry about the stock cage!
you thought the stock "sport cage" was strong?

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who hates the soundbar?