Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alternator/Amp/Sub problems

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/Amp/Sub problems

Well ill preface this by saying i've already gone through 2 alternaters and 1 battery lol... but, at the moment im running a sealed 12 inch Hertz Millie sub, backed by alpine 1000 watt monoblock. Now with this set up i've had a ton of problems, but now the only one left really is i think my alternater is underpowered. The pieces by themseives are great, the sub truly is a monster, its old, rated for 550 watt max i think, and its been pushing 1k with no complaints for over 6 months, the amp as well is unstoppable, great power, insanely clear, not to mention cheap, my head unit is a Dual XHD #### (idk the name off my head) i was weary about buyinfg it, just because it was like $100 lol and i was told it was a walmart brand? but i actually love the thing, better quality then my previous alpine, kenwood, and sony head units, i would DEF recommend it to someone looking for a SOLID cheap head unit, but back to the problem... when i had purchased my new amp (the alpine 1k) i also bought a full 4 gauge rockford fostgate wire set up, power/ground/av/connectors and all that jazz, but the fuse holder that came with it was too small? which caused a lot of problems, neatless to say i bought a kicker fuse holder for $30 on newegg lol fixed my whole shorting out issue, BUT the true question, (sorry for the BS) is should the stock JK alternater be able to handle a 1000 watt amp? i see people running like 500 watt amps, and a TON of lighting with no problems? have they gone MeanGreen? just looking for the next step, i dont wana trash another alternater... also should i invest in a Capacitor? just looking for help, im not too good with car electronics xD
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Kicker 1000 watt amp pushing two 12's on stock battery and alt. 0 g wiring and I use AGU Fuses.

Never had one problem. Stock headunit for now.

I get some headlight dimmage when I am really bumping.. No aftermarket lights or a winch though..

A Capacitor is going to just make your alternator work harder. I have seen caps hurt more cars than help.

Replace the "big 3", Check all your wire connections.

I never really got what your problem was, you just told a story.

Your Dual might be better than sony. But are not comparable to Alpine or Kenwood. The first headunit I got was a Dual. That was 10yrs ago when I knew nothing about stereos.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well yea haha sorry i kinda rambled, but i was just asking if getting a MeanGreen alternater would solve the problem, majority of the the time i have is cranked so i guess that could be my problem, but thanks for the cap info, everyones telling me to get one but i dont understand how/why it would help lol but for now everythings running well, and i really dont notice a differnece between my old alpine/kenwoods, or even my old HarmonKardon lol only the price tag o.O

Quick Reply: Alternator/Amp/Sub problems