Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alpine 6.5 Type S Dash Speakers....

Old 12-05-2016, 12:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
That thing is ridiculously expensive. Ripoff. I like Alpine but that's a joke at 3000+ or whatever it is. Sony makes a pretty nice one for around 700. Forget the model number but it's a clean looking piece. Spending thousands on a head unit with Alpine's mid tier speakers seems silly to me. I would be having an audio shop fully customize some speaker enclosures and surrounding areas and use some very high dollar speakers if I was going to spend 3000+ on a head unit. That's just me though
I think the alpine restyle is an awesome piece of equipment. Pricey for sure, but I guess it is all about what's important to you. I wouldn't bash it because it's expensive. The 110 now has controls available for operating lights and multiple camera hookups. The unit is dope. It is for sure on my list.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

I talked to a local shop about the alpine unit and they steered me away. They said Pioneer is actually the way to go. More options and same quality for less. I also am switching out to 6.5 components instead of coaxials. When I pull the head unit, I may add an amp too. What's a 2017 430N go for these days resale wise?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twise
I think the alpine restyle is an awesome piece of equipment. Pricey for sure, but I guess it is all about what's important to you. I wouldn't bash it because it's expensive. The 110 now has controls available for operating lights and multiple camera hookups. The unit is dope. It is for sure on my list.
oh it's definitely a badass piece of equipment. I just could never justify spending that on a head unit. Not in a jeep. But like I said that's just me. I leave my top off a lot and it gets wet sometimes. Are those things water proof/resistant? That would be killer. Definitely would make it a little less ridiculous in the price area.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
oh it's definitely a badass piece of equipment. I just could never justify spending that on a head unit. Not in a jeep. But like I said that's just me. I leave my top off a lot and it gets wet sometimes. Are those things water proof/resistant? That would be killer. Definitely would make it a little less ridiculous in the price area.
completely agreed!!! I run with my top and doors off a lot so the pioneer nex 4100 that has a detachable face is what I preferred and was sold on!!
Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Electronics and water never mix. Alpine doesn't really have any info on the water resistance of the unit. I would imagine it's on par with everything else out there not marine grade. I am impressed with how they keep adding features specific to wrangler.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twise
Electronics and water never mix. Alpine doesn't really have any info on the water resistance of the unit. I would imagine it's on par with everything else out there not marine grade. I am impressed with how they keep adding features specific to wrangler.
well jeep has found a way to engineer their wranglers to come pretty waterproof from the factory. Mine has sat in the rain topless and doorless and the sprinklers. To the point where there's puddles everywhere inside that one could gather. Soaked dash. No issues. Long as I could put together an aftermarket setup equivalent to the factory one I would be pretty happy.

Quick Reply: Alpine 6.5 Type S Dash Speakers....