Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alarm for your jeep

Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm for your jeep

I was just wondering if anyone has put gone out and baught an aftermarket alarm for their jeep. Any suggestions on good ones or types to stay away from etc.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

viper makes one (not sure of the exact model number) that has a warning alarm and also a motion censor, which would come in handy when the top is off. i've tossed around the idea of getting it, but it's too cold here to take the top off now, so i have some time to wait on it. $300.00 installed
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

i researched alarms recently. don't get yourself a no-name bargain brand, they're worthless. if you're looking for a good, solid one, go with the DEI names - Viper, Python, etc (they're all the same product). if you're like me, and think that your investment is worth it, then you should check out Compustar or Clifford.

Directed Electronics - http://www.directed.com/

Clifford - http://clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp (just one example)

Compustar - http://compustar.com/

good luck and be sure to let us know which configuration you settle on
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the DEI names. If you are about factory kits, you can always get a MOPAR remote start kit as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am wondering with the top off if the sensitivity would cause it to go haywire?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you can set up different layers of sensitivity on a good motion alarm, the better ones are dual zone. So, for example, someone walks up to your jeep with top off or on, enters Zone 1, gets a couple warning 'chirps', if the second zone, interior, is entered the alarm will sound. You can set the sensivity of both zones for how far out they reach. Had this set up on convertible and worked great. It was a Clifford and about $900 at the time with pager and power everything but they have dropped in price allot since then. I would say about $ 4/500 now for a setup like this.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

The difference between one alarm and another is not as big of a deal as the guy installing it. Make sure you get one with alot of experience that does a nice job of concealing and running wires.

I have heard good and bad things about the motion sensors. When that zone I chirps it sets off an electric impulse in the brain of lower life forms and begs them to kick your doors in just to prove they can.

I pulled up to a porche once that happened to be angled to take up two parking spots and when his zone 1 alarm said "back away from the vehicle" I felt those electric impulses triggering my own brain. I, fortunately, was able to turn that anger into a big F U and a big laugh and walked away!

I wouldn't mind the zone 2 without the too close warning. Once they reach in, I want that thing going off.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking for a security system that will electricute the person trying to steal my Jeep. Because if I catch them myself their gonna be dead anyway.

That Clifford one sounds nice though.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

No fancy lights or remotes but these are supposed to be excellent anti-theft devices.

http://www.ravelco.com/
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpzjk
No fancy lights or remotes but these are supposed to be excellent anti-theft devices.

http://www.ravelco.com/
I didn't see a price ... about how much do they get for that thing? If you don't mind me askin'.

Quick Reply: Alarm for your jeep