Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alarm

Old 04-03-2007 | 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fathomgreencamaro
Easy to install? Details please.
I don't know how difficult it is to install the shop I went to took 6 hours for the install. It was a little tricky because I wanted the alarm to work with the doors off. With the doors off the alarm would not arm correctly because it was decting a fault so instead of hooking it up to the door sensors they hooked it up to the dome light. When you open the doors dome light goes on and so does the alarm if it is armed. No doors no light all other functions still activated motions, shock ect.. works great.

Last edited by MBAR741028; 04-03-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2007 | 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MBAR741028
I don't know how difficult it is to install the shop I went to took 6 hours for the install. It was a little tricky because I wanted the alarm to work with the doors off. With the doors off the alarm would not arm correctly because it was decting a fault so instead of hooking it up to the door sensors they hooked it up to the dome light. When you open the doors dome light goes on and so does the alarm if it is armed. No doors no light all other functions still activated motions, shock ect.. works great.
That's a pretty clever way of setting it up... I'll have to keep that in mind when I finally get myself a JK! thanks for the info
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

think there would be a way to get it to turn off the alarm by using the key (physically/ not electronically) to unlock the door?
and to turn the alarm on by hitting the power lock button on the door?
Old 04-04-2007 | 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmdlkwd
I am not an alarm expert, just wanted to know why you went with the 1002?

Is there a big price jump in $$/featureswhen you go to the 3002 or the 5002?

maybe this is more of 'what to you feature wise with either of the above".

Thanks
The 3002 and the 5002 add the two way feature which i really do not need. Plus it saved me about $150.

THe actuall security alarm is the same on all three. The cool thing with viper alarms are that they are plug and play. Meaning, i got one of the base models, but if i wanted to add something. It is a pretty easy install of plugging in the module and running wires if needed.
Old 04-05-2007 | 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickc
think there would be a way to get it to turn off the alarm by using the key (physically/ not electronically) to unlock the door?

I am sure someone could figure it out! Ask a local installer they should be able to help you out. If not with this alarm they may have one that will do what you want. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007 | 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nickc
I had approached an installer about that once in the past with another vehicle basically because my car came with power locks and trunk from the factory and I didn't want a second remote for the starter/alarm... I ended up having to buy a new system that encompassed all 3 systems... mucho $$$

Mind you this was over 5 years ago... so I'm sure it has the possibility of being cheaper... just depends on how many bells and/or whistles you want! (ie: 2-way, type of alarm sensors {motion/impact/tilt...}, starter, temp sensors, and the list goes on...)
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help

My rear window on my soft top was slashed. I lost my luggage and my laptop. Sucks! I would like to buy a Viper with the two motion sensors on the inside. In addition, I want the outside invisible approach warning. Do you guys know what I am talking about.

I think with the alarm you guys a re looking at would have worked for my stuff. However, my window still got slashed at a cost odf $350 BUCKS!! I want to keep them away as well as protect the inside. Any suggestions?

Thanks
pikejd
Old 06-26-2007 | 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My JK manual (page 16-17) states that the "Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems."

I hate the bulky key (I love the audi/vw/porsche keys btw) and want a simple key but am under the impression that the engine will cut off after 2 seconds if I use a key - copy; due to the SKIS.

I'm curious now, can this feature be disabled?
Or is the Viper working around this?
Old 06-26-2007 | 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default key code

in some cars; they tape the key under the dash, as long as its close enough to the ignition, the car reads the transponder and gives it the OK to run...
Old 06-26-2007 | 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pikejd
In addition, I want the outside invisible approach warning. Do you guys know what I am talking about.
When I was a young man and in the Air Force, some kid at tech school had a car with an alarm on it like that. Pretty sure it was Viper too, now that I think of it. He made it say "what you lookin at?" from that Vogue song by Madonna when you walked by it. Pretty annoying after awhile though... especially since I think it was some P-O-S car.

P.S. If I got that feature on my alarm, I would have to track down Mr. T and have him say, "I pity tha fool that messes with my jeep!", or "Back away from tha Jeep, SUCKA!".

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 06-26-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Alarm