Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alarm

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm

Just had a Viper 7900 Alarm installed with 2 motion sensors. Works very well not too sensitive. Armed with top & doors off if you stick your hand inside the alarm triggers. Alarm system does more than I will ever use but I got this one for the 2 way paging if the alarm goes off it alerts you from up to 1 mile away. Just thought I would let everyone know it works well. Here's the link to viper.

http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=102
Old 03-28-2007 | 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

can you use your key to open the door (and turn off the alarm) or do you need that pager/or a remote?

i want to get rid of that damn sentry key, i just want real keys
Old 03-29-2007 | 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickc
can you use your key to open the door (and turn off the alarm) or do you need that pager/or a remote?

i want to get rid of that damn sentry key, i just want real keys
It does have a remote thats ist only problem and it's bulky, But I would rather have some type of security.
Old 03-29-2007 | 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the VIper 1002 Security only. I didn't need the Remote start since i have a 6spd. I have one motion sensor mounted behind one of my tweeters up front. So far i have been quite happy with it. I thought with the motion sensors, i would pick up folks walking by if i had doors and top off. Hasn't happend yet. Top down doors off, i walk by an nothing, but the moment i put my hand inside the jeep, it goes off.

pretty cool. I think i spent about $450 for it total. a little bit of cost can go along way for stress reduction.

granted it isn't going to prevent everything, but it hopefully will deter some. If it deters only one theif, it has paid for itself.

I am waiting a bit then getting a new key made without the Stock lock/unlock as having the key and having my Viper remote does tend to get a bit bulky.

B
Old 03-29-2007 | 01:01 PM
JK Freak

is the transponder really tiny? i'll eventually want a flatter key also once i get my clifford or compustar installed, but i know the jeep needs the transponder to stay running.
Old 03-29-2007 | 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ksroqclimber
I went with the VIper 1002 Security only. I didn't need the Remote start since i have a 6spd. I have one motion sensor mounted behind one of my tweeters up front. So far i have been quite happy with it. I thought with the motion sensors, i would pick up folks walking by if i had doors and top off. Hasn't happend yet. Top down doors off, i walk by an nothing, but the moment i put my hand inside the jeep, it goes off.

pretty cool. I think i spent about $450 for it total. a little bit of cost can go along way for stress reduction.

granted it isn't going to prevent everything, but it hopefully will deter some. If it deters only one theif, it has paid for itself.

I am waiting a bit then getting a new key made without the Stock lock/unlock as having the key and having my Viper remote does tend to get a bit bulky.

B

I am not an alarm expert, just wanted to know why you went with the 1002?

Is there a big price jump in $$/featureswhen you go to the 3002 or the 5002?

maybe this is more of 'what to you feature wise with either of the above".

Thanks
Old 03-31-2007 | 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
2 motion sensors????i think they got you on that one, ive never had to use 2 of them
I could have gotten away with one but it had to be turned up so high to cover the back storage that when you walked past it with the doors off it went off. Adding the second motion sensor in the back under the back seats covered the back storage and allowed us to turn both sensors way down so now when you walk past it the alarm does not go off. You have to stick you hand inside to activate alarm.
Old 04-01-2007 | 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ksroqclimber
Top down doors off, i walk by an nothing, but the moment i put my hand inside the jeep, it goes off.

That is totally cool! I may have to look into this as well.

What's that I hear? Oh..its my bank account draining again...

I could have gotten away with one but it had to be turned up so high to cover the back storage that when you walked past it with the doors off it went off. Adding the second motion sensor in the back under the back seats covered the back storage and allowed us to turn both sensors way down so now when you walk past it the alarm does not go off. You have to stick you hand inside to activate alarm.
Yeah that makes sense especially for the unlimited.
Old 04-01-2007 | 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Easy to install? Details please.
Old 04-03-2007 | 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I only have the factory alarm. Last night I was scared because i had the top down. SO I went and parked all the other cars around my JK...I was also thinking of getting the motion sensor and the whole 9 yard....

Quick Reply: Alarm