Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket XM Antenna, where did you mount it?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket XM Antenna, where did you mount it?

Ok, I bought the XM/Sirius aftermarket kit for my Kenwood DDX419. You're supposed to mount the magnetic antenna on the roof, obviously that is not an option on a Jeep. I'm thinking since the roof is plastic (hard top) that I could keep it on the dash and it may still work. Anyone have any experience with this? Where did you mount it? What worked best? I was also thinking to mount it on the header above the windshield or by the cowl.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phishy
Ok, I bought the XM/Sirius aftermarket kit for my Kenwood DDX419. You're supposed to mount the magnetic antenna on the roof, obviously that is not an option on a Jeep. I'm thinking since the roof is plastic (hard top) that I could keep it on the dash and it may still work. Anyone have any experience with this? Where did you mount it? What worked best? I was also thinking to mount it on the header above the windshield or by the cowl.
Why not mount it in the OE location?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted the XM antenna on top of my JKU speaker bar. Don't know what antenna your kit came with, mine came from a XM Roady and is the size of a matchbox. I have dual tops and never had a reception problem with either one on.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

why not mount it in front of the windshield on the cowling ?
or even on the INSIDE on the dash, even in a corner or something ?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot

Those are exactly what I was thinking. I would prefer inside the vehicle for longevity of the antenna but I didn't want reception to be an issue. I've never had XM before and didn't know how the reception would be with in on the inside of the vehicle. Was hoping to hear that it's no problem, go for it!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Why not mount it in the OE location?
Probably because I don't know where the OE location is... But if you're willing to tell me...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Careful with that. Upstate NY is in the peak of the XM signal but the satellite elevation angles are pretty low. If the antenna is on the cowl or dash, it shouldn't get too near the windshield frame in order to prevent signal blockage. You won't get total blockage given the satellite signal power and reflection/refraction, but against any metal wall, even if small, is not optimal.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EtOH
I mounted the XM antenna on top of my JKU speaker bar. Don't know what antenna your kit came with, mine came from a XM Roady and is the size of a matchbox. I have dual tops and never had a reception problem with either one on.
Originally Posted by Phishy
Probably because I don't know where the OE location is... But if you're willing to tell me...
Same place EtOH used.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

That's where I have mine... Inside dash right beside the tweet on the passenger side. Reception is pretty good, though have noticed a few drops in certain areas. I mounted it w Velcro. It sits beside my antenna for the gps wired to my kenwood.. They both are the same size.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

i ran the wire up the drivers side pillar and along the roll bar. there is a nice open area in foam just above the sound bar that seems to be working great. i get the same reception as i did with it mounted to the outside of the hard top.
at first i had a small square of alluminum that i sprayed black and gorilla glued to the corner of the hard top. it was not very noticeable. once i realized that the top did not interfere with reception, i put in the roll bar cushion.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket XM Antenna, where did you mount it?