Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Sound System Questions

Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Kinda honing in on the Rockford Fosgate P3D2 10, the Sundown Audio SA-10, or the TC Sounds 10.

I've been out of the car audio game so long the only brands I've used that I have any faith in are RF and JL.

JL just seems so pricey compared I anything in it's class and the RF don't seem to have the power handling to manage 1000w. Although I could wire it to 4ohm and just let the amp coast along.
Hey AR, I can vouch for the Sundown SA as it is basically the same woofer as their SD-2 with a different magnet configuration. Really excellent woofer for the money, some argue it outperforms JL in the same class. I think you are aware form my previous post that I am using two of the 10" SD-2s. I can again vouch that these are better woofers based on my tests than the much more expensive JL 10". These sound great in both a sealed or ported enclosure. Remember that ported will require about double the volume box. You may even consider two of their 8" SA as many car installers consider it better that the 10". Two 8s will be louder and play just as low as one 10. I've put several people into the 8" SD-2 with great results.

I use two 15" TC drivers (older titanium version of the Axis) in my home theater driven by 4000 watts (2000 watts each). I use a commercial amp on a 220v circuit. They handle a lot of power with little distortion. They are Excellent woofer and able to play very low in a big box. Mine are ported and tuned to 8hz. Yes you read that right, 8hz - it moves the hair on your legs - haha. I bottomed one of them out damaging the titanium cone and they replaced it for no charge several years ago. Nowadays, there is a charge to replace a cone.

The benefit of the Fosgate woofer is that you can go into any store and listen.

You can tell I'm kind of a bass freak for an old man.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mattk! I ended up pulling the trigger on the Sundown Audio SA-10 in dual voice coil 2 ohm config.

I think it was $189 on Amazon.com. Pretty affordable for something with the specs/reputation it has. Should be able to give it anything it could want at 1 ohm. Expecting I'll be able to reduce amp gain and still get loads of bass.

Putting it in a sealed enclosure with .77 cubic feet of interior volume... A bit more than the .5 SA lists so perhaps I'll get a bit lower but maintain the cleanness of a sealed box.

Still have to sort out the mids and highs. I'm leaning toward a Kenwood double DIN HU, and I'll have the mids/highs amplified as well, but I'm not sure what they'll be yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Question for folks that have updated their HU...

Someone said their radio doesn't play unless the vehicle was running? Did they hook it up incorrectly or is that common?

One of my favorite things is with the doors off, you turn off the Jeep and the radio keeps playing for about 20 seconds. Does that still happen with aftermarket?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how they hooked theirs up but mine still plays
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Softtailfreek
I don't know how they hooked theirs up but mine still plays
Sweet! Love that rockstar mode! A soundtrack to me walking away from the Jeep is just too cool!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed! ! I love walking away from the jeep with my theme song playing. Lol
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Where are y'all routing heavy gauge power wire (1/0) from the battery through the firewall?

Can always drill if need be but I wanted to have a plan.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Where are y'all routing heavy gauge power wire (1/0) from the battery through the firewall? Can always drill if need be but I wanted to have a plan.
. Open up the doors and pop of the end caps on the dash. There is a hole up front filled with expandable foam. You can push a hanger through and it will go through to the engine compartment. Easy.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
. Open up the doors and pop of the end caps on the dash. There is a hole up front filled with expandable foam. You can push a hanger through and it will go through to the engine compartment. Easy.
Those holes are on both sides
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool. Thanks y'all. Tackling wiring back to the amps tomorrow. Got the new HU installed tonight. Haven't had time to mess with it, but it's in there and seems to be fully operational.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-632284417.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	544818  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sound System Questions