Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket head unit vs stock head unit.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the factory infinity sound system found on the Saharas and rubicons. I had an res from the start which sounded very good and upgraded to an ren mygig. No sound difference whatsoever. Pulled that and installed a kenwood ddx719. Significant improvement in sound quality, same factory speakers, amp and sub. I don't have any desire to swap the speakers.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe only way updating the head unit and leaving the stock amp in place would give you better sound would be if the wire harness you used, is now sending the sound to the speakers directly and removing the stock amp from the equation.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
I have the factory infinity sound system found on the Saharas and rubicons. I had an res from the start which sounded very good and upgraded to an ren mygig. No sound difference whatsoever. Pulled that and installed a kenwood ddx719. Significant improvement in sound quality, same factory speakers, amp and sub. I don't have any desire to swap the speakers.
Ya idk how you pulled that one off
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So from the top to answer your first question, will upgrading the head unit help improve the sound of your system with a powered sub? Yes it will. Main reason is for filtering options, HPF (high pass filters)and LPF (low pass). I too have a powered sub (RF P300-12) and aftermarket head unit (Kenwood BT852HD) with dedicated sub out. The advantage to having filter in the head unit over the ones on your basslink is that you specify where highs and lows are going from the source.

The way i've set mine up, all my highs are set to the front, mids to the soundbar and my sub handles all the lows. This way you get a crisp sound with factory speakers btw, and zero distortion from the sound bar since I have it faded lower than the front. My setup thumps enough to give me a shit eating grin when i'm jammin and is clean enough to enjoy more refined even classical music on my night time topless solitary philosophical cruises
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MojaveJK

Ya idk how you pulled that one off
I'm just calling it like it is. Idk maybe you have a 2013? It's been noted that many feel the new alpine system is inferior to the old infinity

Last edited by AirJordan613; 06-10-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you everyone for your input and advice!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock head unit with pioneer speakers in the sound bar and stock speakers in the front. Along with a 10" sub (small box under rear seat) with an amp. It sounds pretty darn good. The amp makes the sub sound good so all the bass isn't focused on the 4 speakers.

I took it to my buddies shop with the same questions as you and he said I don't really need an aftermarket head unit, just an amp and sub. He was right because it sounds awesome. Gonna be even better when I throw aftermarket speakers in the front!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit vs stock head unit.