Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket head unit vs stock head unit.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

An aftermarket head unit will allow you to fine tune the sub and speakers to get the best sound out of what you have. And it is made to power speakers that can handle more power (if that makes sense). I'm pretty clueless when it comes to audio, just sharing my experience.

Mine also has a USB input. Nice to charge phone while streaming pandora/ itunes and using GPS at same time. Also, you can put all the songs you want on a 32G thumb drive and shuffle thru 1000's of songs
Cool thank you so much for your input!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
yes it will. Your stock h/u doesn't have enough power to push your speakers/sub to their max potential. Aftermarket h/u's usually have more power and better equalizers. An amp is what will really bring it to life though
Equalizers do nothing, tune the deck your self!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I would upgrade the head unit(deck) first, knowing now you don't have the premium sustem. If you get one most likely you'll have hpf and lpf( high pass filters. And low pass filters) they will make a big difference in sound! And since your sub is spliced in you'll never be able to control the bass of that alone! I would amp the sub so you can control the bass of that for a better clearer system

Last edited by MojaveJK; 06-08-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MojaveJK

Equalizers do nothing, tune the deck your self!
Oh wow.....how the hell are you going to do that without using the EQ??? I mean, that is what they are for
Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Last time I had an aftermarket deck the eqz were pre set functions, like rock, pop, country, loud. Ect..so you make your own and tune it, but you are right now that I have looked more at it, sorry! I've just been using a diff name for all of it

Last edited by MojaveJK; 06-08-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

I would upgrade the head unit(deck) first, knowing now you don't have the premium sustem. If you get one most likely you'll have hpf and lpf( high pass filters. And low pass filters) they will make a big difference in sound! And since your sub is spliced in you'll never be able to control the bass of that alone! I would amp the sub so you can control the bass of that for a better clearer system
Thanks for your input! The sub is a powered sub so the amp is built in. Still don't most aftermarket head units have a dedicated sub output that will help improve sound quality over spliced in? Thank you guys for your help!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Madman7395

Thanks for your input! The sub is a powered sub so the amp is built in. Still don't most aftermarket head units have a dedicated sub output that will help improve sound quality over spliced in? Thank you guys for your help!
Yes but you said they are spliced into your back speakers I thought
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes but you said they are spliced into your back speakers I thought
my guess is that he does not have the premium sound so then he spliced into a feed (because there was none back then) off of the dash or sound bar to get signal.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepedjeep

my guess is that he does not have the premium sound so then he spliced into a feed (because there was none back then) off of the dash or sound bar to get signal.
Ya makes since that's why I said he should amp the sub so he can control it!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya makes since that's why I said he should amp the sub so he can control it!
He said his sub is powered

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit vs stock head unit.