Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

aftermarket amp install

Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket amp install

Hello,

Was curious if I could tap into the white harness on the amp (infinity) for high level inputs for an external amp. This will be my second install like this but was hoping I could get by without disassembling the upper dash assembly. In the past I tapped into the speaker outs from the headunit. From my understanding this would be the same supply taping into the white harness on the factory amplifier. Was just hoping for reassurance. Appreciate any help.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I was hoping to do this soon and always like a game plan ahead of time. The upper dash panel is a pita and Im afraid clips will break. Anybody?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to get your signal after the factory amp. There are digital controls between the head unit and the amp to control things like volume, eq, fade,and balance. If you tap in before the amp you will lose these controls.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really won't need to remove much of the dash, The amp is located beneath the steering wheel there is a maybe 22" panel that just pops out. I would assume the harness will be connected to it so why do u need to pull apart the dash? There should be many posts on this site for installing aftermarket or just adding another amp ...try the search tool (you may have to read through some to find what you want )
hope this helped ...all I got!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

If you go after the amp make sure you use a de-eq'n device like a jl audio clean sweep or a bit ten.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A de-eqn device? I assume that would make a flat signal? Why would you want that?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
A de-eqn device? I assume that would make a flat signal? Why would you want that?
. Because the factory EQ is awful and needs to be removed or you are just amplifying bad sound.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went through this, just go aftermarket head unit. The factory one sucks so bad and with the time and money spent trying to make it sound good, you will end up wishing you went aftermarket.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do want to keep the factory HU, I have an Arc Audio SRI I will make you a deal on.

SRI | Arc Audio
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I have done an install in the past by using the wires from the head unit. This was on a base (non amplified) stereo. Im assuming you recommend taping in post amp because your implying all fade, volume etc. is controlled by the amp unlike the non amplified head units. If not, I would not think an amplified/eq'd supply would be the best option. It seems odd with the head unit having speaker outs that there would not be an out put controlled by the volume knob of the head unit. I was hoping to use these wires using the factor high level inputs on my amp, JL Audio JX1000. Funny thing is I put my hard top on yesterday and I am really not thinking a sub is as needed. The difference is crazy with hard top installed. My concerns with asking the original question is the fact I dont like taking the dash apart if its not needed. That upper panel seems fragile from past experience. I was hoping by using the harness before the amp I would only have to take the bottom panel off.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: aftermarket amp install