Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

adjusting headlights

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting headlights

i have my tucklites in nice and snug and notice that the passenger light is aimed to the left a little too much. when I'm about 15ft from my garage, the lights' x's are about 2' apart but when i back out, the passenger side x crosses over the the left, eventually overlapping the driver side x. the other night i noticed this the most in the dense fog my area was experiencing. i know how to adjust the lights up and down which i have done already, but is there a way to go side to side? i know i can shim the light but id rather not if there is a way to adjust. thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is a torx adjustment screw for horizontal as well as verticle. Not close to my jeep right now but I seem to remember seeing two beveled areas when looking at the headlight where you can fit a torx driver.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
I'm pretty sure there is a torx adjustment screw for horizontal as well as verticle. Not close to my jeep right now but I seem to remember seeing two beveled areas when looking at the headlight where you can fit a torx driver.
i thought so too but that other beveled area turns up blank. theres nothing there
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i thought so too but that other beveled area turns up blank. theres nothing there
I just did a quick google search and apparently we are out of luck as there is only one adjustment screw. Apparently in some markets JK/jku's have an electric motor that adjusts the headlights multi ways but we only get up and down. I just installed mine today and have not yet tried to adjust them but hopefully will tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

damn.. and i know its not the light that is messed up because its my second one since the first one had a small defect.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Jedi

is there any way you can put pressure on the side of the light to get a little adjustment? I know mine felt like they could be manually moved a small bit. Maybe adjust them without the grill in place and use something to wedge in behind the light assembly to cant it a little.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had same trubble with my 09 - found a adjusting nut INSIDE the light bucket, light has to be out to get at it .
don't know if the 12s are different , I made a mark where the light should be - removed light adjusted - held it in place by hand, and repeat till deadnuts on - good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
is there any way you can put pressure on the side of the light to get a little adjustment? I know mine felt like they could be manually moved a small bit. Maybe adjust them without the grill in place and use something to wedge in behind the light assembly to cant it a little.
nope, mine are snug and aren't going anywhere.. the one i had in there before was able to move up and down via pressure but this one fits like a glove..

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
I had same trubble with my 09 - found a adjusting nut INSIDE the light bucket, light has to be out to get at it .
don't know if the 12s are different , I made a mark where the light should be - removed light adjusted - held it in place by hand, and repeat till deadnuts on - good luck.
ill look for that nut. I'm sure it'll make a huge difference once i undo the cross-eyed effect these lights are producing. its pretty much like aiming 2 spot lights to the driver side on anything further than 40ft away. either way these are still a huge upgrade front he stockers even with sylvania silverstars.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

how i did mine
back in to garage or comp. level area ,
make sure lights are square to door - measure
mark corresponding measurements on door.
next take a Prozac cas this is FRUSTRATING
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	410477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	410478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	410479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	410480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	410482  

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
I have a 13. Take the light out and you will see the adjusting nut inside.

Quick Reply: adjusting headlights