Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding power door locks

Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding power door locks

Ok so i bought my Wrangler X and got a great deal because it was on the lot, But alas it doesnt have power windows/locks. Its a jeep you say you dont need that stuff. Well, i can do without the windows but i HAVE to have my power locks. I took my door panels off only to find it near impossible to get a look at the latch to see if i can hang a universal actuator on it. Does anyone know if it has an additional lock lever like the rear door has or am i stuck ordering the $87 lock/latches from the stealership? Also, if i order those is it possible to just hard wire them to my keyless unit (audiovox 9275) or are the chrysler actuators multiplex (MUX) internally or is that in the BCM. I know that when you tap into exsisting chrysler locks you have to use resistors.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Ok Im not going to get that technical on this but I am also looking for power door windows and maybe some door locks. Windows just make it easier instead of reaching to roll it up doing 65mph because the wind is blowing to much for the little one.

How much do you think it would cost for a shop to do this? Drilling holes ? I'd like it to look as much as factory as possible.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

i added power lock from ebay, yes there is a second tab for the actuator rod on the front latches just like there is on the rear, they are set up a bit different, and unfortunately i didn't take pics or do a write up. all i can tell you is that it will take about 8 hrs, and will be frustrating at time, but is entirely possible and totally worth it. when i do my power window install, i'll try to take pics of that and the locks. good luck
Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

thanks for the reply! So when you remove the inner door panel, do you loosen the latch AND remove the window completely or do you just slide that white thing attached to the latch off and only remove the window....sorry i got frustrated with it and said screw it the last time
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

found these on ebay for a 4 door....is this approximately what it looks like?

Id assume that since there are 3 connection points and the factory setup only uses 2 that i could attach to the third, which again assuming is the one with the red arrow. am i wrong? the 2 factory points are obviously the door handle and the door lock....or are all 3 attached? are the lock cylinder and the interior lock cable attached at different points or....

(edit) ok i see that the piece the arrow is pointing to actually has 2 connection points and im hoping that is where the interior lock cable attaches.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

After you remove the door panel how do you remove the inner panel that the window regulator is attached to?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

that thing gave me fits and i could not figure it out (yes i have seen the pics posted here but they dont make sense to me)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by James76
thanks for the reply! So when you remove the inner door panel, do you loosen the latch AND remove the window completely or do you just slide that white thing attached to the latch off and only remove the window....sorry i got frustrated with it and said screw it the last time
I didnt remove the window completely, just disconnected it from the regulator, and duct taped it in a position that was out of the way.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by James76
found these on ebay for a 4 door....is this approximately what it looks like?

Id assume that since there are 3 connection points and the factory setup only uses 2 that i could attach to the third, which again assuming is the one with the red arrow. am i wrong? the 2 factory points are obviously the door handle and the door lock....or are all 3 attached? are the lock cylinder and the interior lock cable attached at different points or....

(edit) ok i see that the piece the arrow is pointing to actually has 2 connection points and im hoping that is where the interior lock cable attaches.
yes that looks like the latch. What i did was use that extra tab that you have the red arrow pointing to to connect my lock actuator to. I went to autozone an baught more of those clips like the blue, green and yellow ones you see in your pic and push one into that extra tab. then i connected the actuator rod to it, and mounted the actuator itself to the metal part of the door. there are now two tiny screw heads visible on all four of my doors where the actuators are mounted on the inside. But with careful measuring and planning, they came out all in the same place on each door, and if i didnt tell you that they aren't supposed to be there, nobody would ever know.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by derby911
After you remove the door panel how do you remove the inner panel that the window regulator is attached to?
Yes, it took some work to get it removed from the glass, and be able to remove the whole thing, but i did end up removing the entire interior panel for the project.

Quick Reply: Adding power door locks