Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding Extra Rear Turn Signal/Running Light

Old 08-14-2023, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding Extra Rear Turn Signal/Running Light

I知 looking to add an extra pair of running lights/turn signals in my rear bumper since my brake lights aren稚 the best (my fault for my choice of light but no going back now). I知 using KC Cyclone V2s as the added light since they work with my bumper perfectly.

Cyclones are in the 2nd hole from the outside on both sides.

My issue I知 running into is that the Cyclones only have a single positive wire and of course the ground wire. To do what I intend I need to connect both the positive wires for the turn signal and the running light into the one positive wire of the Cyclone. I hoped to do this with something similar to this diagram.

Below I will insert what my wiring for my taillights looks like with a guide for what each wire does since this is where I was planning on tapping my power from.

I wired this into the stock connector using heat shrink crimp connectors. Wiring guide Black to Black- ground White/Yellow to Red- turn signal/brake light White/Purple to Brown- running light White/Green to White- reverse light Also wire in a resistor(50 watt 6 ohms) One end into the ground wires, other into brake/turn signal light.

After looking at my wiring again and being reminded of what I did I知 not sure if my idea will work? If there痴 anybody with more experience with electrical I壇 love to hear an opinion on whether or not this can work l, and if so, how?

Another idea I have is to run a wire all the way from the front lights in the grill as those should have the correct functions for what I need. It would just be a lot of wire to run, which I知 not opposed to.

If you need more info about anything to give me a better answer let me know, I知 sure I probably missed something!
Old 08-16-2023, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Decided that I値l be splicing into my front parking/turn signal lights in the grill. Can someone tell me if this wiring seems like it would be correct after running the wiring to the back? Or would I just need the diodes since the front lights already have the switchback feature between the two functions?

Old 12-24-2023, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did it work?

Did your wiring work? If so, what's the diodes you used? Can you tell me where you got them?
Old 12-24-2023, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokinjoe37
Did your wiring work? If so, what's the diodes you used? Can you tell me where you got them?
The second wiring diagram he posted won稚 work well. The running lights will have a higher voltage and the lights will be brighter than the turn signal. The resistor should be on the running light wire going to ground.

These diodes will work :
https://www.amazon.com/10A10-1000V-A...74314ec96553e2

You can also just use a relay.

Since the running lights are always on, connect the running light to pin 87 and the light positive to pin 30. Pin 86 to ground and turn signal wire to pin 85.

No diode needed. The light will always be on but only flash with the turn signal. However, just note that when using the relay method that your turn signal on the Jeep will be out of sync with the one connecting to the relay. When the Jeep signal is on, the light in the relay will be off.

Last edited by Sv_dude; 12-24-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
The second wiring diagram he posted won稚 work well. The running lights will have a higher voltage and the lights will be brighter than the turn signal. The resistor should be on the running light wire going to ground.

These diodes will work :
https://www.amazon.com/10A10-1000V-A...74314ec96553e2

You can also just use a relay.

Since the running lights are always on, connect the running light to pin 87 and the light positive to pin 30. Pin 86 to ground and turn signal wire to pin 85.

No diode needed. The light will always be on but only flash with the turn signal. However, just note that when using the relay method that your turn signal on the Jeep will be out of sync with the one connecting to the relay. When the Jeep signal is on, the light in the relay will be off.
so if I do relay method, I'd need one relay per light?
Old 12-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

so if I do relay method, I'd need one relay per light?
Yes, one per.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Found

With a little research, I found these so I'm gonna try the ones from Dennis Kirk out. I bought them from Amazon though for a cheaper price

Blinker Genie 2 - For Automobiles. Converts 2-wire LED to 3-wire for Run AND Turn! https://a.co/d/aUZxkq7

https://www.denniskirk.com/custom-dy...prd/215503.sku
Old 12-25-2023, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

With a little research, I found these so I'm gonna try the ones from Dennis Kirk out. I bought them from Amazon though for a cheaper price

Blinker Genie 2 - For Automobiles. Converts 2-wire LED to 3-wire for Run AND Turn! https://a.co/d/aUZxkq7

https://www.denniskirk.com/custom-dy...prd/215503.sku
Thats pretty much what I posted above with the diode but the work is somewhat done for you and cost is 5-7x more.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry, late response. I did get it to work. I tapped into the front turn signals on each side and ran them the whole way back. At the end, both positive wires got diodes but the running light also got a resistor so it is dimmer than the blinker. They were also extremely bright and not very amber colored, so I had some stock fenders laying around and took the diffuser from the marker lights and sandwiched them between the light and bumper, and I think it turned out pretty good! If you need more help I'd be glad to answer any more questions. It wasn't a very hard install, just a little time consuming running the wire under all the carpet and soldering wires together.

Quick Reply: Adding Extra Rear Turn Signal/Running Light