Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding 12V power to Tuffy underseat drawers

Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 12V power to Tuffy underseat drawers

I'm looking to add a 12V flashlight charger and plug under my drivers seat and a 12V plug under my passenger seat in Tuffy drawers. Just curious of the best place to get power from? Should I wire it into my Spod or is there a good source under the seats already? I'd hate to run a bunch of wire if I don't need to. The flashlight is a Streamlight Strion, it appears that the charger only draws .6 amps.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eaneumann
I'm looking to add a 12V flashlight charger and plug under my drivers seat and a 12V plug under my passenger seat in Tuffy drawers. Just curious of the best place to get power from? Should I wire it into my Spod or is there a good source under the seats already? I'd hate to run a bunch of wire if I don't need to. The flashlight is a Streamlight Strion, it appears that the charger only draws .6 amps.

Thanks!
If there is a lighter socket in the center console, the cable feeding it is hot all the time.

Seems there is always one more 12V accessory to add. Many folks pick up a fused distribution box at the marine supply store and mount it behind the glove box. A nice big fused cable runs to the battery. Provides 6 fused branch circuits for your toys and doesn't require cutting into the stock wiring. I think this project has at least one write-up here on the forum.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I wouldn't want to feed the flash light charger with a source that's hot all the time.
You'd be better off finding a switched source. If you have a spod, there must be a switched source in it.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:08 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a sliding drawer system in the rear cargo area of a 2016 JK Unlimited, you might find our solution interesting. We've designed a system that's tailored for this model.
If you're curious, I can share the specs and installation guide. Just let me know

Quick Reply: Adding 12V power to Tuffy underseat drawers