Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adapt Harbor Freight Badlands Wireless Winch Remote to Quadratec Q9500i Winch

Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adapt Harbor Freight Badlands Wireless Winch Remote to Quadratec Q9500i Winch

The title says it all.

I think I am going to try and see if I can retrofit this ... Harbor Freight Badlands Wireless Winch Remote Control to operate my Quadratec Q9500i winch.

I can't find the wiring diagram for either, but a review on the wireless remote site says that it only has 4 wiress... 2 for 12v power, 1 for in, 1 for out. I know my quadratec winch has four connectors, so I am hoping I can make it work.

Has anyone tried anything like this or able to give me any pointers?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
The title says it all.

I think I am going to try and see if I can retrofit this ... Harbor Freight Badlands Wireless Winch Remote Control to operate my Quadratec Q9500i winch.

I can't find the wiring diagram for either, but a review on the wireless remote site says that it only has 4 wiress... 2 for 12v power, 1 for in, 1 for out. I know my quadratec winch has four connectors, so I am hoping I can make it work.

Has anyone tried anything like this or able to give me any pointers?
You'll have to find schematics.... wire up to in, out, and power (if required). I believe the Warn requires power and know the Superwinch does not. I have no clue as to whom these chi-com winches are copying, but assume it's Warn? You might get lucky and find the connector mates right up.

Question.... do you trust wireless in this application... trust wireless from Harbor Freight? Remember, winching can put your Jeep in much worse situations than what called for the line originally. Failure could result in big time problems.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX

You'll have to find schematics.... wire up to in, out, and power (if required). I believe the Warn requires power and know the Superwinch does not. I have no clue as to whom these chi-com winches are copying, but assume it's Warn? You might get lucky and find the connector mates right up.

Question.... do you trust wireless in this application... trust wireless from Harbor Freight? Remember, winching can put your Jeep in much worse situations than what called for the line originally. Failure could result in big time problems.
I will keep my wired remote as a backup on the trail. Im not hardwiring the remote.

Plenty of positive reviews on the Badlands remote. A remote circuit isn't rocket science. Just a relay switch.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Downside to the wireless remote is they have a slight delay. You just have to get used to it.

Have heard stories of other devices or interference activating the wireless controller. Again not first hand info so take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got lucky.... my local harbor freight had a previously opened Wireless Remote for only $25... nice to save a few dollars since Im cutting it up anyway. Now to see if I can reverse engineer the wiring schematics for it.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
I will keep my wired remote as a backup on the trail. Im not hardwiring the remote.

Plenty of positive reviews on the Badlands remote. A remote circuit isn't rocket science. Just a relay switch.
Don't think you understood my concern. I am not worried if the HF item is going to work or not.... but when it decides to work or not. Quality issues aside, the concern still stands.

My winch gets exercised constantly and many times safety is a concern. Positive, reliable control is important to me.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wired up a wireless controller to my engo. Was real easy +12v, ground, in, and out were the only wires to connect. The engo only has two solenoids (out,in). Once I figured out which one was which, I hooked the wireless control to them in parallel with the remote wires and was done. Now I can use either the wired or wireless controller.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well that took about 30 minutes and it works perfectly. I just spliced the wired remote controller plug into the wireless remote control box, and now I have wireless control thats easily removeable so their is no danger of it activating from a random signal. When I want to use, I just plug in, and go.

For any who want to know how....

Quadratec remote plug wires - yellow/green = 12v, black = ground, blue = in, brown = out

Badlands Wireless Remote - yellow/green = 12v, black = ground, blue = out, brown = in

So yellow/green to yellow/green, black to black, blue to brown, brown to blue.

Just a very slight delay in the remote, not bad at all. Pulses well.

I ordered a spared Quadratec wired remote to carry as a backup should the wireless remote setup not work.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Twinkydog
I just wired up a wireless controller to my engo. Was real easy +12v, ground, in, and out were the only wires to connect. The engo only has two solenoids (out,in). Once I figured out which one was which, I hooked the wireless control to them in parallel with the remote wires and was done. Now I can use either the wired or wireless controller.

Yep. Exactly what I did.

Quick Reply: Adapt Harbor Freight Badlands Wireless Winch Remote to Quadratec Q9500i Winch