Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ACC Power M7 fuse??

Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ACC Power M7 fuse??

Hello,

I am tring to wire up a backup camera to the rear of my 2016 jeep. I have located the three prong plug on the passanger side rear with two wires running to it that is used for the subwoofer if equiped. My JKU was not equiped with it from the factory. So my plan was to use it to power my rear camera with the key/acc. I understand that the m7 fuse is switchable from always on and on with key/acc.

My issue, I don't seem to have power to the plug no matter what position the fuse is in. I have checked the fuse with a volt meter and there is good current (12+) on both sides of the fuse, so I know it is good and getting good power. I also seen on a forum that a jeep owner had to remove the plug because it was shorting it out. So I removed the plug and still no win. I even swapped around fuses to see if it was maybe just a bad fuse, still nothing.

I am tring to avoid having to run another wire to another source for power toward the front if I don't have too.

What am I missing here? Is the m7 not the fuse for the rear three prong receptacle?

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-21-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Extremneon
Hello,

I am tring to wire up a backup camera to the rear of my 2016 jeep. I have located the three prong plug on the passanger side rear with two wires running to it that is used for the subwoofer if equiped. My JKU was not equiped with it from the factory. So my plan was to use it to power my rear camera with the key/acc. I understand that the m7 fuse is switchable from always on and on with key/acc.

My issue, I don't seem to have power to the plug no matter what position the fuse is in. I have checked the fuse with a volt meter and there is good current (12+) on both sides of the fuse, so I know it is good and getting good power. I also seen on a forum that a jeep owner had to remove the plug because it was shorting it out. So I removed the plug and still no win. I even swapped around fuses to see if it was maybe just a bad fuse, still nothing.

I am tring to avoid having to run another wire to another source for power toward the front if I don't have too.

What am I missing here? Is the m7 not the fuse for the rear three prong receptacle?
If the Jeep wasn't equipped with the rear outlet then the connection in the TIPM will be missing according to this.

Are you checking the smaller of the two connectors? It may have changed when they moved the sub but there should be two connectors back there. The one for the sub most likely would come from the amp. You want the one for the charger port which is the smaller one if things haven't changed.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-21-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If the Jeep wasn't equipped with the rear outlet then the connection in the TIPM will be missing according to this.

Are you checking the smaller of the two connectors? It may have changed when they moved the sub but there should be two connectors back there. The one for the sub most likely would come from the amp. You want the one for the charger port which is the smaller one if things haven't changed.
I appericate the help,

Yes, I am checking the smaller three prong connector. My jeep definitely had the 20amp fuse installed already in the m7 slot in the always on position, didn't add that.

I wonder if the factory runs the wires for the amp and cargo plug, but doesn't connect it to the the fuse box as the link shows. Would make for the reason why I am not getting and power to the rear connector.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

It may also vary by year. The charger port connector should be 2 pins and the sub connector was 4 pins unless it's changed. Look around for a 2 pin back there.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

It may also vary by year. The charger port connector should be 2 pins and the sub connector was 4 pins unless it's changed. Look around for a 2 pin back there.
I have definitely found the 2pin- 3 prong connector back there and cut the connector off. I just don't have any power to it, like it is not connected at the fuse box or the wires have been cut.

Not my picture, but the plug I am tring to use in my jeep, smaller one in his hand.

The plug has no power no matter what I have tried, looks to be not connected somewhere or I am missing something. Used a volt meter to check and nothing, both with the key on and off. I also checked the fuse at the fuse box and it definitely has power on top at the fuse. I wonder now if it is disconnected under the fuse box for some reason? As the link you posted.

Why run the wire down the jeep, install a fuse in the box and then not connect it to the fuse box underneath? Makes no sense.

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-21-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

No idea then. It seems odd to me that there would be a wire back there but not in the TIPM. Have you thought about powering the camera from the reverse light wire?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

No idea then. It seems odd to me that there would be a wire back there but not in the TIPM. Have you thought about powering the camera from the reverse light wire?
Yeah, but my attention was to run a rear camera all the time when the jeep is running. The camera with essentially be used as a full time rear view mirror on my jeep and I replaced the standard dimming mirror with a 7" lcd screen.

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-21-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Ah gotcha. If you can, try looking down the M7 slot and see if you can see the pins or if you have a meter, stick the test probe in and see if you have power. Since the fuse positions share the center slot, that would be the one to go back to the connector. The outside slots should have switched power on one side and unswitched on the other side.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-21-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ah gotcha. If you can, try looking down the M7 slot and see if you can see the pins or if you have a meter, stick the test probe in and see if you have power. Since the fuse positions share the center slot, that would be the one to go back to the connector. The outside slots should have switched power on one side and unswitched on the other side.
Gotcha, that is exactly what I did to test it. Both side have power in relation to on or switched as they supposed too. So all is good there.

Next I tested the fuse with a volt meter on both sides and it definitely is not blown and passing current to the center pin.... if there.. lol...

But... I did not check to see if there was a pin in the middle slot hooked up. Will definitely check that next when I get home today. Would have never thought that is wouldn't be hooked up with the wires ran and the fuse in place from the factory.

If that is it, makes no freaking sense...

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-21-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Extremneon
Gotcha, that is exactly what I did to test it. Both side have power in relation to on or switched as they supposed too. So all is good there.

Next I tested the fuse with a volt meter on both sides and it definitely is not blown and passing current.

But... I did not check to see if there was a pin in the middle slot hooked up. Will definitely check that next when I get home today. Would have never thought that is wouldn't be hooked up with the wires ran, fuse in place from the factory. If that is it, makes no freaking sense...
I agree it's weird. But if the wire was there then I would not expect a fuse to be in there. That wire in the back has to come from somewhere so there is probably another connector up there somewhere that the middle slot jumps to. Keep me informed if you don't mind since now I'm curious and it could help future searchers who find this thread.

Quick Reply: ACC Power M7 fuse??