Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ABS, Traction Control, and Downhill assist lights all came on

Old 04-20-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, Traction Control, and Downhill assist lights all came on

A couple weeks ago, I'm driving up the road accelerating, or holding constant between 30-35 mph, on an uphill grade of maybe 2-3%. Then it felt as if the engine was sputtering a little, twice and only momentarily. It has not done it again and I passed it off as being something in the fuel I just filled up with.
Well, today same place same circumstances, it did it again and so I gave it more throttle to down shift and get a higher rpm, since it was around 2,500 rpm, but then all these lights came on with the downhill assist light going out shortly after. keep in mind this was going uphill. The other two lights stayed on for mile until I stopped for light, and turned a corner. They have not come back on.

I found the issue for anyone else who might be having a similar issue.

I was pressure washing the underside of the Jeep after an outing Saturday and noticed something dangling as the pressure washer sprayed against it. Crawled under the Jeep and found the clips that hold the ABS wiring to the frame had pulled out and the wires had made contact with the exhaust pipe and melted. I am sure this shorted the system when they came in contact, which accelerating would cause them to do more so. I didn't see any wire exposed, so left them as is and plugged the holders back into the frame rail. Will see if I have any more issues with that.
What is odd, is I checked the wires at my full flex and they would not have pulled out from that since there is plenty of play. So not sure how or why they came out.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd consider replacing the wire; it may be damaged internally and not be making a good connection. This can cause the vehicle to get false wheel speed sensor readings and problems with wheel speed sensors will cause the ABS, TC, and Stability Control lights to come on. I don't have downhill assist, so I can't comment on that, but since wheel speed would be measured with that as well, it wouldn't surprise me to see that illuminate too.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to take it to the dealership if it comes on again and try to get them cover it under warranty.

Quick Reply: ABS, Traction Control, and Downhill assist lights all came on