Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ABS malfunction after wheel bearinf change

Old 07-26-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS malfunction after wheel bearing change - Solved!

Hi,

This morning I changed the front wheel bearings on my 07 Rubicon and have got some issues with the ABS system since then.

While driving to work this afternoon I got the ABS working on one wheel while braking at speeds over 35mph which made the Jeep pull to the right very hard.
Which is quite unnerving and even dangerous since it doesn't do it every time but in unregular intervals.

The ABS and traction control lights come on from time to time aswell but then go out after a few seconds or minutes again.

I'm not sure if I connected the wheel speed sensors correctly since they are very inaccessible and you have to push quite hard to get the connectors together and I'm not sure if the front left one is connected properly.
Could this be the cause for my issue with the braking? I'll check this first thing tomorrow morning though.

I don't want to drive the Jeep like this actually.

Last edited by CGras; 07-27-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I seem to have found the issue. It looks like it was a faulty wheel speed sensor.
I replaced it this morning with an old one and a short test drive showed no reaction of the ABS anymore.

Here is the culprit. I've thrown it away right after taking this picture since it tried to wreck my Jeep.

Quick Reply: ABS malfunction after wheel bearinf change