Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

77Kick46 Amp Upgrade | Any good?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I already replaced the front and soundbar speakers with nice alpine 6 1/2"... Awesome sound lift from the front... Soundbar, while better - still woefully lacking and anemic. Therefore, on to the amp as there's just not enough power going to the Soundbar.

So here's my logic... Do the kicker amp upgrade (plug & play) first and assess. If still not where it needs to be... Swap the head unit - and since crutchfield provides a nice harness and the kicker amp is plug and play... Win win. If that still won't drive them properly I'll re-wire.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

What speakers are good for the front and soundbar and decent for the money?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Great input from this. Looking to do all the speakers, what sizes are the speakers? And can't remember what JK forum I saw the post of the guy who did two stock sub housings side by side? Anybody know what I am talking about... Probably ditch the stock gps/navi if I can more power to those speakers. Where is the amp located? And also this sends output to all speakers? so what would be the point of doing the head unit? Sorry newer to this Jeep world. Diesel world go that on lock and already building a kit to do a cummins conversions. THanks guys
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ludski
i would def advise upgrading the speakers and sub before upgrading the amp.
kicker upgrades are like 65 a pair (justforjeeps) and then get a kicker 8" sub rated 100-200rms. since the stock amp puts out 100rms 4 ohm to the sub.
I could be wrong but everything I've read so far (which is a ridiculous amount of threads) says the stock amp will support 2ohm speakers. Seems counter productive to replace stock speakers with new speakers that aren't optimized to take advantage of that. The Mopar Kicker upgrade 6 1/2 speakers may be cheap & they may be Plug-n-play but they are only 4 ohm.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blacksmoke4119
Great input from this. Looking to do all the speakers, what sizes are the speakers? And can't remember what JK forum I saw the post of the guy who did two stock sub housings side by side? Anybody know what I am talking about... Probably ditch the stock gps/navi if I can more power to those speakers. Where is the amp located? And also this sends output to all speakers? so what would be the point of doing the head unit? Sorry newer to this Jeep world. Diesel world go that on lock and already building a kit to do a cummins conversions. THanks guys
Fronts and soundbar are all 6.5"
Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noxian
The Infinity system is only a waste if you want to spend money on upgrading the stereo later, previously I replaced the stereo in all my cars with aftermarket, with the JK the Infinity system is good enough to not need to. For the average person the Infinity system is a great stereo.
I concur. I put aftermarket stuff in everything I have (unless it has a Bose system...too hard to mess with). The infinity is not perfect, highs are not as crisp as they could be, and the sound is not as tight. Truthfully, the Patriot I traded in for the Wrangler (which I had put a Kenwood deck and Sony 6x9s in) sounded better. The infinity is good enough that the cost/benefit in replacing stuff doesn't pencil out for me.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
I did this swap. The new Kicker amp is slightly wider than the Infinity (shown side by side below) so you have to install from below first, but it goes right in. The sound improvement is noticeable, but not dramatic. I already upgraded the front and sound bar speakers with the kickers, but the problem with the entire system is the weak sub. Kicker makes an upgrade for that as well, but I'm looking for other aftermarket suggestions that will fit under the rear seat. FYI, I'm running a Kenwood DNX6160 head unit with this system and PAC harness. For those who haven't bought their JKs yet....PASS ON THE INFINITY SYSTEM OPTION. Waste of money as you'll have to upgrade everything for decent audio anyways.

Edit: Oh Yeah, got mine at justforjeeps:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kicker Amplifier Upgrade 77KICK46
I agree w Shaky. 1- The infinity system upgrade is crap. In fact, when I took out the speakers and saw what poor quality they were, it made me really angry with Jeep because I feel like they duped me. 2- I've done the 77kick46 upgrade and regard the improvement as marginal at best. I'm currently trying to find a suitable aftermarket amp that I can position in the same spot under the steering wheel, solve the weak sound bar transmission, and give me separate and strong control of the sub. Any answers to this will earn you my deep gratitude.

Mark
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out rockford fosgate new boosted rail amps, they are tiny and can even be used on motorcycles. One could be made to fit any where. They fit into the palm of your hand....no joke. My buddy has two in his car mounted in his glove box and they sound great!

Quick Reply: 77Kick46 Amp Upgrade | Any good?