Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

77Kick46 Amp Upgrade | Any good?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77Kick46 Amp Upgrade | Any good?

Ok, so have searched the threads, but can't find anyone that can comment on upgrading from the Infinity Amp to the Kicker/MOPAR upgrade 77Kick46.

I have already upgraded all the speakers and want to keep the stock head unit... heard this AMP upgrade ($202) is a good step. Anyone out there done this upgrade? What do you think of it? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Really, no one?!? Come on gang, surely someone on the board has messed with the 77Kick46 AMP
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

I've posted this so many times and no answer
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Do we have specs or a description of this amp?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

I've searched called mopar contacted dealerships and nothing
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this swap. The new Kicker amp is slightly wider than the Infinity (shown side by side below) so you have to install from below first, but it goes right in. The sound improvement is noticeable, but not dramatic. I already upgraded the front and sound bar speakers with the kickers, but the problem with the entire system is the weak sub. Kicker makes an upgrade for that as well, but I'm looking for other aftermarket suggestions that will fit under the rear seat. FYI, I'm running a Kenwood DNX6160 head unit with this system and PAC harness. For those who haven't bought their JKs yet....PASS ON THE INFINITY SYSTEM OPTION. Waste of money as you'll have to upgrade everything for decent audio anyways.

Edit: Oh Yeah, got mine at justforjeeps:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kicker Amplifier Upgrade 77KICK46
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	amps.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	201212  

Last edited by ShakyJake; 08-23-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
I did this swap. The new Kicker amp is slightly wider than the Infinity (shown side by side below) so you have to install from below first, but it goes right in. The sound improvement is noticeable, but not dramatic. I already upgraded the front and sound bar speakers with the kickers, but the problem with the entire system is the weak sub. Kicker makes an upgrade for that as well, but I'm looking for other aftermarket suggestions that will fit under the rear seat. FYI, I'm running a Kenwood DNX6160 head unit with this system and PAC harness. For those who haven't bought their JKs yet....PASS ON THE INFINITY SYSTEM OPTION. Waste of money as you'll have to upgrade everything for decent audio anyways.

Edit: Oh Yeah, got mine at justforjeeps:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kicker Amplifier Upgrade 77KICK46
The Infinity system is only a waste if you want to spend money on upgrading the stereo later, previously I replaced the stereo in all my cars with aftermarket, with the JK the Infinity system is good enough to not need to. For the average person the Infinity system is a great stereo.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Did there happen to be any specs on the kicker amp? That will be what I need before making a decision to go with this or aftermarket. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Specs for this 8-channel amp are:

224W (26x8) at 4 Ohms; 368W (46x8) at 2 Ohms
Freq. Response=20Hz-21K Hz
S/N ratio = 95db
THD at RMS power= 1.0%

Amp has DSS, and will also do KMS-1 if you have factory video entertainment system.

Part number is MPCAN046AA

That's all I have. Like I said, in my system, it produces a better overall sound than the Infinity amp did, but won't blow your mind. Part of the improvement is that my sound bar is now clearly present. I think with the right sub, this will be a decent "stealth" upgrade.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 08-23-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

That's not really bad for $200 and PnP install (especially if you DON'T upgrade the 6 1/2" speakers to the 77kick10 Mopar upgrade). Instead go buy some 2 ohm speakers for those locations and reap every last watt you can from that amp.

I'm thinking of applying some fiberglass chop & resin on the inside of the sub box to add rigidity & stuff with poly-fill. I've always been a fan of the Kicker Solo-Baric's due to their small cubic inch requirements. We'll see...

Quick Reply: 77Kick46 Amp Upgrade | Any good?