Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

50" Mounts

Old 03-03-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDRoots
I would go with opt7's off amazon, they have good reviews all around for a fraction of other bars. That's what I plan on buying, I just bought their 22" for my bumper
Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah they look decent. $285 on Amazon right now. Only thing is, I've read a few reviews about how they're actually 48 & 5/8" (not 50") and I don't want to have to modify my new Poison Spyder mounts nor do I want to have to use spacers (which I don't have).
Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Ive been lurking and would love to get a 50" light bar..

My problem is I don't want to shell out the $$ only to have more noise..

I run the Hardtop in winter and the Soft top / no top in summer.

As I understand it -

- The light bars whistle - hopefully this has been resovled and seems to be less of an issue with the Single row - is that right??
- The light bars buffet / cause wind noise / vibrate - Seems to be more of an issue when the bracket puts the lights closer to the windshield and above??
- The light wipers hit the light bars..

Does someone have a proven combination that does NOT have the above issues? REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by donnut
I've done a lot of experimenting with mine, I had some $150 eBay mounts, and without the light attached, there was no increase in noise. As soon as I put it on however, I got a LOT of vibration, buffeting, and whistle. About 75 db in the cab. With Poison Spyder mounts which I also bought off eBay for $260, there is NO vibration or buffeting, and the noise level is around 65 db. The lights cause a little bit of wind noise, but is barely noticeable unless going into a headwind.
Cheap ones:

Attachment 598318

Poison Spiders:
Attachment 598315
Old 03-03-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by amarzano
Ive been lurking and would love to get a 50" light bar.. My problem is I don't want to shell out the $$ only to have more noise.. I run the Hardtop in winter and the Soft top / no top in summer. As I understand it - - The light bars whistle - hopefully this has been resovled and seems to be less of an issue with the Single row - is that right?? - The light bars buffet / cause wind noise / vibrate - Seems to be more of an issue when the bracket puts the lights closer to the windshield and above?? - The light wipers hit the light bars.. Does someone have a proven combination that does NOT have the above issues? REALLY APPRECIATE IT!! Thank you!
The whistle noise is easy to fix. Get the black door trim stuff and stick it on a couple of the fins and no more noise.

I run a soft top all the time and I sold my 50" because I couldn't stand the flapping and the top acting like it was going to blow off. The only way I could stop a lot of the top from flapping up and down was to get pipe insulation and shove it in between the header and soft top. It fixed a lot of the problem but when there was a good wind (which we have 7/7 days here in Wyoming) it acted up again.

The wipers hitting the light bar probably depends on the brackets. I had no problem with the light bad I had and the Crawler Conceptz mount.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with opt7's off amazon, they have good reviews all around for a fraction of other bars. That's what I plan on buying, I just bought their 22" for my bumper
Thats the brand i just bought in a 50inch Spot/Flood combo. $260 something shipped without harness and an extra $20 with one.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

That kinda sums it up for me.. I don't want to spend a lot of money had cause new issues.. :-(

I do like the way they look.. :-)

Any ideas if a 20" on the hood would also cause noise?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by meep97
The whistle noise is easy to fix. Get the black door trim stuff and stick it on a couple of the fins and no more noise.

I run a soft top all the time and I sold my 50" because I couldn't stand the flapping and the top acting like it was going to blow off. The only way I could stop a lot of the top from flapping up and down was to get pipe insulation and shove it in between the header and soft top. It fixed a lot of the problem but when there was a good wind (which we have 7/7 days here in Wyoming) it acted up again.

The wipers hitting the light bar probably depends on the brackets. I had no problem with the light bad I had and the Crawler Conceptz mount.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Which mounts do you plan on using for the 22" on your bumper? I like the OPT7's, but I've found in people's reviews of the 50" bar that the actual length is only 48 & 5/8" and I don't know for sure whether that will fit a Poison Spyder mount. Apparently the Poison Spyder mounts are made to accomodate a 50-52" bar, so I don't know whether I should jump on it or not. I bought mounts before I bought a light bar, only because I like the way the Poison Spyder mounts sit the light bar lower than other brands, also, couldn't pass up a brand new set of Poison Spyder mounts for $100 shipped
Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a homemade stinger with 2 holes 12" apart so I'm going to just use a flat steel piece to span the ~22"

The real question is where did you get psc mounts for $100??
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
dog
JK Newbie

I have a homemade stinger with 2 holes 12" apart so I'm going to just use a flat steel piece to span the ~22" The real question is where did you get psc mounts for $100??
Yeah, seriously!!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I have a homemade stinger with 2 holes 12" apart so I'm going to just use a flat steel piece to span the ~22"

The real question is where did you get psc mounts for $100??
Got a guy on eBay to end his listing early (before any bids were placed) and hussled him down. He won it in a convention for free anyways so he didn't care. And no, it's not a knockoff, he even shipped it to me in the original Poison Spyder box AND he had already had the thing painted black, so I don't even have to deal with that either

I even got someone else to sell me their brand new N-Fab Nerf step bars for $250...

..I should work for Pawn Stars
Old 03-06-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulsant04
Got a guy on eBay to end his listing early (before any bids were placed) and hussled him down. He won it in a convention for free anyways so he didn't care. And no, it's not a knockoff, he even shipped it to me in the original Poison Spyder box AND he had already had the thing painted black, so I don't even have to deal with that either

I even got someone else to sell me their brand new N-Fab Nerf step bars for $250...

..I should work for Pawn Stars
Sounds like I need to bring you when I buy my next car!

If you ever get tired of those mounts, I'll be first in line

Quick Reply: 50" Mounts