Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.
View Poll Results: LED Light Bar Above the Windshield
Get the 50"
30.77%
Get the 52"
7.69%
Don't get a Light Bar there its cliche
38.46%
Its OverKill my Eyes are Burning thinking about it
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

50" or 52" LED Light Bar or is it Overplayed?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 50" or 52" LED Light Bar or is it Overplayed?

I was considering getting a 50" or a 52" LED light bar for the top of the windshield. Some people say its overplayed and over Kill. I'm on the fence about it. My buddies say get a 3rd one so I'll have the upside down triangle of death rays. I think it might be much to add a 3rd one plus I would have to get rid of my wind-deflector to do it.

I do like my $40 Wade Wind deflector it works great 3 seasons out of the year. But its quite annoying during the winter due to it turning my soft top into a whipping sail above 55 mph. The only way to stop it is to turn the cabin fan on max to equalize the pressure. I think its causing negative air pressure on the soft top.

Another factor is people have problems with whistling of the Bar at certain speeds. I don't want that either. It would be trading one annoying thing for another.

So I'm going to start a Poll. 50", 52", Overplayed its cliche, Overkill don't get it.

Here is a Picture of the Death rays as it stands
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Head on.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	662415  
Old 12-08-2016, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont care for them they look big and tacky in most cases but thats just personal opinion i dont see an issue if some one wants to slap one on their jeep or w/e

overplayed. yes and no. if you are out in the bush and really need that much light sure but it seems most just buy them because they like the look and they never go anywhere normal headlights and fogs would not be enough.

Last edited by shabbernigdo; 12-08-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
i dont care for them they look big and tacky in most cases but thats just personal opinion i dont see an issue if some one wants to slap one on their jeep or w/e overplayed. yes and no. if you are out in the bush and really need that much light sure but it seems most just buy them because they like the look and they never go anywhere normal headlights and fogs would not be enough.

I actually agree with all of this.

I am very against the 50" light bar because in my are (idk what your area is like) it is a complete waste. The closest park is Rausch Creek and you can't wheel there at night anyway. Chaos Offroad does night runs on occasion but only the guy at the front of the line would be able to use one. If you turn a 50" lightbar on and you are behind someone you're going to blind them.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Obviously you've run out of actual modifications to do to your jeep if you're stooping to the level of these oversize light bars that are only useful in the 1% of your life where you need that kind of light.

Every. Single. Other. Day. you look like the rest of the mall crowd who has it mounted there for looks.

Pick your poison.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 50" and have had it for 2-years now. Do I regret it? No. Yes, I liked the look and yes, it does come in handy when I "need it". Do I use it much? Hell no. But I can afford it and like the look.

If this is you then get it otherwise it's everyone's personal opinion against yours. Do what makes you happy.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. My headlights are usually enough to get the job done. If I'm the leader I'll run my "Death Rays". But If I'm not I won't use them or I will wait until the person in front of me is past the obstacle like a rock garden ledge etc... then I'll engage them. My 30" on the Hood is stupid bright. The 12" is great as well. But if I put both on it's been called the "Death Rays" by my buddies. Night Rides are great Usually the leader is the only one with Aux lights on Because it will blind the people in front of you.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We consider it a very nice thing to have, if it doesnt match the build of your Jeep then no, there are other options. With that said, it looks like it would match your Jeep well, and complete the look.

Id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, kind of like a Trojan or a CWP

If you go with our 50" S series bar, we have one more set of Poison Spyder Brackets we can give away free with it ($270.00 value free) you should have no wind noise or resonance. The bigger the light bar and the taller the brackets are ,the more noise you typically get from what we have noticed.

Our 50" Single row bars look amazing, have a lifetime warranty, and are brighter than most dual row bars out there.

Quick Reply: 50" or 52" LED Light Bar or is it Overplayed?