Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430n in dash gps map,topo...

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 430n in dash gps map,topo...

Hi!! I just bought a 2015 rubicon with the 430n navigation I was looking on the net but can't find what I'm looking for. I would like to know if its possible to run Topo map and how to... thanks a lot!!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To my knowledge, the 430n doesn't accept the input of any external gps devices or map software for display.

However, here in California, I've found that it displays the vast majority of 4WD trails that I travel. So, while it won't give you an accurate picture of where you are relative to terrain, so long as you know your destination coordinates, it will (usually) help you find the right trail.
Where the 430n has failed me is when it thinks that there is only one way to a given waypoint and you choose a different path; it can get "locked" into an endless loop that requires shutting the vehicle down so that it can re-boot.

Between entering waypoints into the 430n (which can be done at least 3 different ways), and having a true gps with topo maps (I use my iPad mini with Gaia software), I've never had a problem navigating in the wild. Both complement each other rather well.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
... (I use my iPad mini with Gaia software) ...
If OP is looking for alternative topo maps and prefers Android, I use a 2012 Nexus 7 and Backcountry Navigator Pro. It works great to import routes others provide (as standard .gpx files, which are also compatible with Google Earth), and allows me to record our routes to share with others. I use the free CalTopo maps and download an area before heading into it (so I don't need a data connection during actual travel) ...

What a route, annotated with waypoints, looks like on the Nexus 7.

Here's one at four miles, but it can scale in way closer than that and the maps will change to appropriate ones for the scale you're using ...

And here's what a route looks like on Google Earth ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-11-04-25-06.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	591209

Quick Reply: 430n in dash gps map,topo...