Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

3rd brake light issues

Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light issues

I have a swing away tire carrier in which i rerouted the brake light. In one of my previous post, I had one of the wires rubbing on the bumper which appeared to cause a short. The dealer told me the TIPM needed to be replaced for 900.00. I passed on their offer and now I have been troubleshooting this off and on for the past several weeks. What i have noticed is the M1 fuse continues to blow. I took a voltage reading after i replaced the M1 fuse at the disconnected connector in the rear acces door which read 12volts with the brake on. I took my battery charger and connected it to the wiring past the rear connector and the 3rd brake light illuminated. But when I connect everything back up and apply the brakes the fuse blows again.

Could it be a bad connector in the rear door causing thiss issue? Picture attached.. Could I just remove it and wire directly?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	508221  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

the fuse stays good with the light unplugged ?
and the light works with a separate power source ?
the light is stock ?
both sides of the plug look good ?
you just extend the wire like every one dose ?
I think i would take out the splice and see what happens ?
In my mind the troubles got be there .
good luck
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agree with the above post. Something may have gone wrong somehow in the two ends of the connectors. I forget how that connector looks, but if possible, I'd probably get an LED or some kind of automotive light and try to connect it to the harness and see if it lights up OK. If not, I'd just cut off both ends of the connector and tie them together directly and see what happens.

Good luck. Troubleshooting electrical problems sucks.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light issues