Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

3 way switch wiring two sets of lights

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 way switch wiring two sets of lights

I have a pair of driving lights in the front and a pair of back up, trail lights in the back of the JK. I have a 3 position on-off-on switch. I will never run both sets of lights at the same time. Can I wire them to the 3 way switch with a relay? Trying to not have a lot of switches and holes in the dash. They are 55W lights. If it is possible anyone have a diagram I can follow?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, that will work fine. You want to use a relay with each set of lights, front and rear. The trigger for the relays will need to come from the on-off-on switch. Assuming you will have one side of the relay coil connected to ground, you will want to have +12 volts connected to the center terminal on the switch. The one end terminal needs to go to one relay and the other end terminal goes to the other relay. Then, with the switch in the center position, neither set of lights will be on. One way the front lights will be on and the other way will turn on the rear lamps.

Does that help?

Steve
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

It helped. Thanks I need to lay it all out tonight and see if it makes sense laid out. Do I really need 2 relays? I figured since the lights were ne or the other one relay would do. Is that not the case?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

You will definitely need both relays. Even though your switch is a 3 way switch, a relay really just opens and closes a single circuit. Each set of ligths will be on its own circuit.

A helpful picture for wiring the circuit can be found here. Your circuit will look almost the same, but you will have a second identical circuit coming off the switch for the back set of lights.

I hope that helps.

Micah

Quick Reply: 3 way switch wiring two sets of lights