Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

24V lights into the Jeep?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap

Okay, so you are obviously in Afghanistan (your avatar location), and you can get your hands on some of the "Trucklite" LEDs that all the MRAPs (mine resitant armored personnel carriers) are running over here........Free is always a good thing, except when you are going to just tear up a 21st century wiring harness just because you are a cheapass. Stay out of the motor pool, somebody over here (afghanistan) may actually need them more. Go online and just buy the 12v plug and play version.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Okay, so you are obviously in Afghanistan (your avatar location), and you can get your hands on some of the "Trucklite" LEDs that all the MRAPs (mine resitant armored personnel carriers) are running over here........Free is always a good thing, except when you are going to just tear up a 21st century wiring harness just because you are a cheapass. Stay out of the motor pool, somebody over here (afghanistan) may actually need them more. Go online and just buy the 12v plug and play version.
Seriously, stop talking. Read previous posts in the thread, and maybe, JUST MAYBE you will see that there is no way I am "tearing up a 21st Century Wiring harness" to get these, if I do in fact get them.

You realise my army is using these now too eh?

Dont concern yourself with how I am getting them. But you can sleep safe at night knowing that a US soldier isnt going to hit an IED without his lights.

And BTW, about 80% of every US vehicle is running these now over here, not just the MRAP.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARinmyJK
It would be more efficient to convert to AC and then rectify back to the dc voltage you want.
I hope you are not an Electrical Engineer, because that reasoning just doesn't make sense.

A good quality (read expensive) inverter runs at between 90-95% efficiency. Where as one of the 12V to 24V converters linked to before runs at approximately 85% efficiency. So unless you go out and spend a lot of money on a good quality inverter and then a good quality 24V rectifier, you would be better off with a medium quality 12V to 24V converter.

Not to mention the added problems, wiring and space needed to have two devices instead of one.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PhantomRescue
Stop scrounging overseas and get back to work!

I'm x2 for the HD lights, I am sure you can find similar ones when you get back to the world!
Interested in seeing if you can make this work and what the final outcome is!
I am new to this forum but have been wheeling for a long time now. I am in the same boat with these lights and would really like to find a solution to the problem of wiring these lights into my crawler. I now have three sets of them. it would be much appreciated if yall could help with this. thank you
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

any luck with these lights there seems to be a post on pirate 4x4 using these same lights on a jeep and they work great.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just did this in my jk. Cheap Chinese step up converters and they work.

Quick Reply: 24V lights into the Jeep?