Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

24V lights into the Jeep?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Nobody said they were LEDs

Sounds interesting, I now see why you are motivated to run these.
Sorry bout that....and yes that is why I am so motivated to run them.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Be careful how you get them.

I knew of a guy who had a clock from a T-38.

They let him mount it in his jail cell to track his "time".
Just testing the idea out. I work in the field, so I can get my hands on stuff that is for testing then not required anymore and are for disposal.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since they are LEDs they operate differently from incandescent lights. The individual LEDs operate at 3.0 - 3.5 VDC approximately. Inside the light will be something to bring the voltage down to acceptable levels for the LEDs. This might be a circuit or the LEDs may be wired such that they each drop the voltage 3.0 Volts.

Someone with electronics knowledge and experience might be able to get into the lights and rewire them or replace a $.75 resistor to make them compatible with a 12VDC system.

Is there any documentation with them? Are they marked with a manufacturer or part number? You might be able to find info online. Since they are designed for "automotive" use they might have a setting internally to select 12VDC or 24VDC operation.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
Since they are LEDs they operate differently from incandescent lights. The individual LEDs operate at 3.0 - 3.5 VDC approximately. Inside the light will be something to bring the voltage down to acceptable levels for the LEDs. This might be a circuit or the LEDs may be wired such that they each drop the voltage 3.0 Volts.

Someone with electronics knowledge and experience might be able to get into the lights and rewire them or replace a $.75 resistor to make them compatible with a 12VDC system.

Is there any documentation with them? Are they marked with a manufacturer or part number? You might be able to find info online. Since they are designed for "automotive" use they might have a setting internally to select 12VDC or 24VDC operation.
There is not a lot of info online. At least not a wiring diagram. And unfortunately they are a sealed unit.

Last edited by dyolfknip; 07-26-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typed too fast
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 10A quoted in the spec for the converter is most likely the maximum supply current. If each of the lights run at slightly less then 2A then that converter would be sufficient for your application, you would actually be able to draw about another 6A before the converter would have problems.

If I was going to wire a set of those into my Jeep, I would use the existing lines as signal lines to a couple of relays (one low beam and one high beam), then I would switch the 24V signal with the relays and wire the switched 24V to either the high or low beam inputs.

I saw a set of the Truck Lite 24V LED lights wired into an HLVW Wrecker and they looked pretty sweet, but before I could take them (and the truck) for a drive I got yanked out of the driver's seat by an EME Sgt who is playing in the sandbox with you currently.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys

You guys do realize that with a boost transformer. your amperage draw will be twice the load on the primary side. IE: 6 amps @ 24 volts on the secondary side will generate 12 amps @ 12 volts on the primary side.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Octo
The 10A quoted in the spec for the converter is most likely the maximum supply current. If each of the lights run at slightly less then 2A then that converter would be sufficient for your application, you would actually be able to draw about another 6A before the converter would have problems.

If I was going to wire a set of those into my Jeep, I would use the existing lines as signal lines to a couple of relays (one low beam and one high beam), then I would switch the 24V signal with the relays and wire the switched 24V to either the high or low beam inputs.

I saw a set of the Truck Lite 24V LED lights wired into an HLVW Wrecker and they looked pretty sweet, but before I could take them (and the truck) for a drive I got yanked out of the driver's seat by an EME Sgt who is playing in the sandbox with you currently.

Cheers
Ya but how are you activating a 24V relay with a 12V system? A relay wont boost DC.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Sorry bout that....and yes that is why I am so motivated to run them.

Just testing the idea out. I work in the field, so I can get my hands on stuff that is for testing then not required anymore and are for disposal.

The "converters" that step up from 12V to 24V are probably nothing more than a transformer. There are a few things that you will want to understand about inserting these into your electrical system.

#1. 5 amps at 24 volts = 120 watts

#2. That 120 watts will turn into 10 amps worth of draw on the 12 volt system that you have powering this thing.

#3. The transformers will not be 100% efficent. Expect that they will draw more from your 12 volt system than they will deliver to your headlights. The extra power that htye draw from your 12 volt system will be turned into HEAT. Make sure that consider this when mounting the converters. They also don't look all that water-resistant

#4. If you're going to run them as your headlights, you best bet is to use the stock harness to drive relays which will then provide the power to the converters. A place called Susquehanna motorsports builds a very skookum wiring harness for the JK's that is truly plug and play for H4 bulbs - it includes heavy gauge wiring and relays that will provide the sort of power that you will want.

All of that said - 24V LED headlights on a JK would be pretty cool. I think I'll let you be the guineau pig though. I'm pretty happy with my Hella H4 conversion

Stay safe while you're in the Sandbox.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Hey Guys

You guys do realize that with a boost transformer. your amperage draw will be twice the load on the primary side. IE: 6 amps @ 24 volts on the secondary side will generate 12 amps @ 12 volts on the primary side.
You cant use a transformer on DC circuits. AC only. A DC regulator rated for 2,5,10A or whatever is not drawing that amperage. It is capable up to it.

What I think you are talking about, and so am I, is a "boost converter" and the current output on one of them is lower than input.

See the first paragraph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter#Overview

Last edited by dyolfknip; 07-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by w squared
The "converters" that step up from 12V to 24V are probably nothing more than a transformer. There are a few things that you will want to understand about inserting these into your electrical system.

#1. 5 amps at 24 volts = 120 watts

#2. That 120 watts will turn into 10 amps worth of draw on the 12 volt system that you have powering this thing.

#3. The transformers will not be 100% efficent. Expect that they will draw more from your 12 volt system than they will deliver to your headlights. The extra power that htye draw from your 12 volt system will be turned into HEAT. Make sure that consider this when mounting the converters. They also don't look all that water-resistant

#4. If you're going to run them as your headlights, you best bet is to use the stock harness to drive relays which will then provide the power to the converters. A place called Susquehanna motorsports builds a very skookum wiring harness for the JK's that is truly plug and play for H4 bulbs - it includes heavy gauge wiring and relays that will provide the sort of power that you will want.

All of that said - 24V LED headlights on a JK would be pretty cool. I think I'll let you be the guineau pig though. I'm pretty happy with my Hella H4 conversion

Stay safe while you're in the Sandbox.
I appreciate your comments, but DC cannot use a "transformer" like AC can. A DC regulator, or Boost Converter or DC Step Up Converter(what I am speaking about), from what I can tell, and it is getting late here so I might be on glue, doesnt draw more amperage than whatever it is hooked up to.

But again I could be wrong and if that is the case then it looks like I will be figuring something else out

Last edited by dyolfknip; 07-26-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Found 2 more names for what i am talking about
Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Ya but how are you activating a 24V relay with a 12V system? A relay wont boost DC.
the coil on the relay's would be 12v. You can run whatever voltage you want across the contacts, as long as you don't overload it.

Quick Reply: 24V lights into the Jeep?