Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2016 Rubicon: 130N to 730N

Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Rubicon: 130N to 730N

So, I've got a 2016 Rubicon that has the $695 Connecticty Group and the standard 130 radio. Picked up the RHR 730N out of a 2015 Rubicon from a friend and need to know if it's 100% plug and play? I understand the 730N has internal UConnect while my vehicle has external, so is the Mopar Adapter used in previous years still necessary? Or has anything changed for 2016 on this?

Last edited by K9Jeeper; 10-30-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you are meaning the 130RES, as 130N is not a valid radio code. But either way, 2007-current (as of the date of this post) should still hold true. Since you got a 2015 radio, you will need to make sure you have the security code to unlock the radio as that was implemented in some '11 radios and '12+ radios by Chrysler. Also, I believe there are a few kits you could get to still use/bypass the existing UConnect module there. But with the 730, you should be able to just remove that and plug everything directly into the radio and have it work, plug and play! Just have to make sure you plug the microphone into the rear of the radio. With the 730, the two keys are the security code (if new enough) and the microphone. Mine worked, plug and play, and I did not have the connectivity package at all. Here is a link to my "All things OEM radio" thread. Read through it and it should give you some good information and help you out!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ite-up-326901/
Old 12-05-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, how did you make out? I want to do the same for my wife's 2014 JKUS.

Some say go aftermarket, but I like a stock look.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottyj
OP, how did you make out? I want to do the same for my wife's 2014 JKUS.

Some say go aftermarket, but I like a stock look.
Personally, I liked the OEM look just like you. With regards on adding the GPS part, it's very easy, since as long as you have Satellite radio, you are already wired for GPS too! In regards to updaing maps, it's a bit difficult and expensive, but you don't have to do that too often, so that's ok. And in regards to the sound system, no matter what OEM head unit and speakers you have, the stock setup just isn't that great. It works just fine, but can get muffled with too much bass, or when you turn the radio up with the top down. For me, the best setup was to get some after market speakers installed and a speaker amp (no sub), and that makes that OEM head unit sound really nice, and keeps a nice OEM look. I think you would be happy overall with the OEM headunit, especially if you like the OEM look.

Quick Reply: 2016 Rubicon: 130N to 730N