Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2014 cruise control

Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 cruise control

Hey guys,
Just bought my wrangler about two weeks ago and am in love with it! My question is I have like a 30 mile commute to work and is all highway and so I just sit back and throw it in cruise control. But my problem is I've had it where I would have it on cruise and hit a big bump somewhere in the road if it is uneven pavement or a typical bump on a highway and the cruise control disengage. I can hit resume and go back up to speed but wasn't sure if that is a safety thing or if anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by groth797
Hey guys, Just bought my wrangler about two weeks ago and am in love with it! My question is I have like a 30 mile commute to work and is all highway and so I just sit back and throw it in cruise control. But my problem is I've had it where I would have it on cruise and hit a big bump somewhere in the road if it is uneven pavement or a typical bump on a highway and the cruise control disengage. I can hit resume and go back up to speed but wasn't sure if that is a safety thing or if anyone else had this problem?
2014 JKUR here, and I haven't had any such issue in the 13,000mi I've put on it. I use my cruise control a LOT.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I have only put about 2000 miles on it but it has happened I would say maybe 3 times and wasn't sure why. Obviously still under warranty but before bringing it in, I wanted to see if anyone else had the problem first
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

40 k miles on my 3.6 JKUS. Never had an issue with the cruise cutting off like that. Ever. I think you might be tapping the brake pedal?!? Maybe the brake light switch attached under the dash at the pedal might need adjusting. You might have someone follow you and see if your brake lights are illuminating when you hit big bumps. Sounds like the likely cause to me.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you hit a bump where the computer thinks there is slight wheel spin it will disengage the cruise as an anti-slide precaution.. it is part opf the ESP (stability program).

mine will do it sometimes if i hit a pothole or transition onto a bridge that has a metal strip for the threshold esp in the rain where it might be slightly slick..

-Christopher
Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 and it's the same way, once you hit a bump it turns off for safety reasons
Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
if you hit a bump where the computer thinks there is slight wheel spin it will disengage the cruise as an anti-slide precaution.. it is part opf the ESP (stability program). mine will do it sometimes if i hit a pothole or transition onto a bridge that has a metal strip for the threshold esp in the rain where it might be slightly slick.. -Christopher
^^^ this.
Mine has done it a couple of times. With the solid axles and pretty stiff suspension the drive wheel may come off the ground enough to spin.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome that is usually what happens, when I hit a pothole or on a highway with a bridge. Thanks guys
Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I'm about a year late to this thread. I have a 2014 that I bought in January of 2015. I had noticed that the cruise would disengage sometimes when hitting a bump. Mostly when going over a bridge that's not level with the road. I figured it had something to the computer and the ESP. Thanks for confirming that.

Quick Reply: 2014 cruise control