Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Stock vs Infinity

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Just curious, what are the options for aftermarket for eq capabilities? The last time I put a good aftermarket system together, there were just graphic EQ options. That helps but it doesn't give you the capability to EQ and balance individual channels/speakers. Are there any 5.1 surround tuning capabilities on the aftermarket options also?
There are all kinds of electronic crossovers and processors avail. Some head units even have auto eq like your home theater and use a microphone and advanced circuitry to tailor your sound to your seating position. if somone doesn't know how to utilize their equipment and doesnt know how to select the equipment that will meet thier goals, then they probably wont do better than factory. It is very easy to get ok sound, to get breathtaking sound takes some know how and great componetry.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadc880
IMO and personal experience I too wanted the infinity upgrade for my 12 JKU. I was able to take my mopar kicker upgrade speakers out of my 11 2dr sport during the trade.

I said to myself I will get around to adding my rubi shocks, mopar kickers and so fourth. It was funny on the 2nd day of owning my 12 JKU I was so disappointed with the stereo. It sounded like crap. Then I realized I forgot to put my kickers back in.

WOW what a difference night and day. So look at it this way yes it is correct about the amp having separate channels and freq crossover for each speaker but trust my they didn't spend much time trying to get our jeeps to sound like a boston acoustic or bose system.

Look at it this way, you save yourself some money and space from the sub in the rear, go buy 4 kicker mopar speakers and enjoy it.
To be fair, your criticism is most likely pointed in the wrong direction. I do have some insight in regards to working with OEM audio system developers, with Chrysler/Jeep being one of those.....let's just say in regards to the Chief Engineer in charge of the Wrangler.....he's not much of an audio guy....he's a Jeep guy, which is good in a lot of aspects for the Wrangler, but when it comes to the audio system.....he doesn't seem to have much interest in sound quality other than making sure it makes sound. So yeah....I could see it being tough to make a good sounding system in the Wrangler from an OEM aspect, when the engineer in charge of the vehicle doesn't seem to have any interest in the sound system. At least that was my perspective when talking to him about audio in the past.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJM12
There are all kinds of electronic crossovers and processors avail. Some head units even have auto eq like your home theater and use a microphone and advanced circuitry to tailor your sound to your seating position. if somone doesn't know how to utilize their equipment and doesnt know how to select the equipment that will meet thier goals, then they probably wont do better than factory. It is very easy to get ok sound, to get breathtaking sound takes some know how and great componetry.
Well, that's what I'm asking. Most head units have 4 channels.......So if I have 10 speakers connected to it, then how do I apply EQ to just the tweeter since I would have to use a cross over. It's essentially the same thing as a graphic EQ, where it applies EQ to multiple speakers at once, but no full control of EQ for each speaker. I'm asking what are these products you speak of that would allow such a thing?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Well, that's what I'm asking. Most head units have 4 channels.......So if I have 10 speakers connected to it, then how do I apply EQ to just the tweeter since I would have to use a cross over. It's essentially the same thing as a graphic EQ, where it applies EQ to multiple speakers at once, but no full control of EQ for each speaker. I'm asking what are these products you speak of that would allow such a thing?
Well to have full eq control over each individual driver then yes you would need seperate dedicated amps for each channel. So you might need more than one amp depending on what your trying to accomplish. However using a crossover to steer audio information to the appropriate driver isn't a bad thing especially if the slopes are steep enough. You could also use jbl ms-8. There are others but these have several amp channels and total control over each.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
says 7 speakers (infinity ) sub woofer is standard not a option
am i correct in thinking it comes stock with rubicon ??

i hope so ! i wasnt crazy over my stock 2011 sport stereo system ill tell ya . not that it botherd me just i was hopping for better with the rubi !
All JK's with the Infinity option come with a sub woofer.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2010 infinity system with the basic sat radio unit, not the touch screen navi. I tried to get dealer to upgrade, but they are not in too big of a hurry to get back to me. I really want the touch screen unit. Opinions on if I should get stock touch or after market? I actually think the infinity speakers sound great! Haven't been topless yet so time may tell!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's part of the package.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
Is the infinity system standard with the 2012 JKU Rubi?
Yes it is standard on the Rubi and the Sahara

Last edited by Basecamper; 11-21-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Stock vs Infinity