Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Stock vs Infinity

Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Stock vs Infinity

I've searched so much my mouse finger hurts. It looks like I forgot to upgrade to the "7 speaker Infinity" sound system on my order. I'm getting the basic 130 radio with the connectivity, uconnect and sirius in a 2012 JKU. What exactly is the difference between the stock "6 speaker" and "Infinity 7 speaker". Just the Subwoofer? I am in no way an audiophile, but I have the Boston Acoustics in my current 05 Dodge Magnum and I'm hoping the Jeep stock isnt god awful!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure what the extra speaker is, but I know I have the 430n media center and the sound from the speakers kind of blows. radio (regular and sirius) are not anywhere near crisp, as could be expected, but I put in a dvd and that too wasn't that great. I'm coming from a car with Bose though. It's not what I was expecting, but it's fine. It's not a luxury car.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is the sub. You have two tweets on the deck you have two in the front dash- and you have two in the sound bar.

The sound is not great it's not horrible considering the jeeps acoustics , road noise, and the placement of the speakers.
in the driver seat I don't hear much from the sound bar speakers in my JKU. so I turn my sound bar speakers down so my kids aren't blown away when I crank it up.

The only reason I didn't get the seven speakers was because I didn't want the sub in the back taking up space. I think I'll replace my dash speakers eventually with better ones.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The 7 speaker Infinity system is not only the additional Sub.

The Infinity system has a separate 8 channel digital amplifier. The base grade audio system uses the radios built in amplifier which is only 4 channels. So if you do the math, in a base grade audio system since there are 6 speakers and only 4 channels of amplification, this means that 2 of the speaker pairs have to use a cross over. Crossovers reduce the output level, add noise, and give less control to the audio going to each speaker.

With the Infinity amp, each speaker has a dedicated amp channel, which means the sound going to each speaker can be tuned for that speaker within the Infinity digital amp. Since there are 8 channels and 7 speakers, you will see the Sub woofer is actually a dual voice coil sub where the sub uses 2 of those 8 channels.

So in summary, along with the additional sub, you get a separate amplifier adding more power to each speaker, as well as overall better sound quality, you also get Infinity speakers and not the stock crap ones, So you get better overall sound when compared to the base audio system.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both systems and the infinity is ok for stock although quite fatigueing to listen to. Any stock system will never stand up to a qaulity aftermarket set up...period! If you wanna train your ears to accept and learn to enjoy a factory set up, you can, but you can build a way better expierience for yourself for less than a so called "premium" system. I've had infinity, bose, monsoon, and all suck compared to qaulity aftermarket set ups.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Default RE:

IMO and personal experience I too wanted the infinity upgrade for my 12 JKU. I was able to take my mopar kicker upgrade speakers out of my 11 2dr sport during the trade.

I said to myself I will get around to adding my rubi shocks, mopar kickers and so fourth. It was funny on the 2nd day of owning my 12 JKU I was so disappointed with the stereo. It sounded like crap. Then I realized I forgot to put my kickers back in.

WOW what a difference night and day. So look at it this way yes it is correct about the amp having separate channels and freq crossover for each speaker but trust my they didn't spend much time trying to get our jeeps to sound like a boston acoustic or bose system.

Look at it this way, you save yourself some money and space from the sub in the rear, go buy 4 kicker mopar speakers and enjoy it.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJM12
I've had both systems and the infinity is ok for stock although quite fatigueing to listen to. Any stock system will never stand up to a qaulity aftermarket set up...period!
I disagree. You're just not looking at the right vehicles, maybe because they're out of your budget?

Here's a challenge for you. When the 2013 Lexus GS comes out (it's not available yet but I've listened to it at an exclusive press event). Do yourself a favor, and go to a Lexus dealership and listen to the lexus Mark Levinson system. Make sure to bring your best surround sound DVDs, iPod, CDs, etc. The fact that you mention "Bose" and "Monsoon" tells me you probably haven't even heard of Mark Levinson. Mark Levinson is the brand that people who are truly serious about audio buy, but it comes at a pretty high entry price...but if you buy a Lexus it becomes a little more affordable.

http://www.marklevinson.com/Info/Story/49

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chadc880
IMO and personal experience I too wanted the infinity upgrade for my 12 JKU. I was able to take my mopar kicker upgrade speakers out of my 11 2dr sport during the trade.

I said to myself I will get around to adding my rubi shocks, mopar kickers and so fourth. It was funny on the 2nd day of owning my 12 JKU I was so disappointed with the stereo. It sounded like crap. Then I realized I forgot to put my kickers back in.

WOW what a difference night and day. So look at it this way yes it is correct about the amp having separate channels and freq crossover for each speaker but trust my they didn't spend much time trying to get our jeeps to sound like a boston acoustic or bose system.

Look at it this way, you save yourself some money and space from the sub in the rear, go buy 4 kicker mopar speakers and enjoy it.
Thanls Chadc800,

I'm thinking thats the route I'll go after the Jeep gets here. Sounds like it might be better quality sound in the long run anyhow.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll

I disagree. You're just not looking at the right vehicles, maybe because they're out of your budget?

Here's a challenge for you. When the 2013 Lexus GS comes out (it's not available yet but I've listened to it at an exclusive press event). Do yourself a favor, and go to a Lexus dealership and listen to the lexus Mark Levinson system. Make sure to bring your best surround sound DVDs, iPod, CDs, etc. The fact that you mention "Bose" and "Monsoon" tells me you probably haven't even heard of Mark Levinson. Mark Levinson is the brand that people who are truly serious about audio buy, but it comes at a pretty high entry price...but if you buy a Lexus it becomes a little more affordable.

http://www.marklevinson.com/Info/Story/49
Well I'm not talking mark levinson systems and yes they are very good, I'm quite familiar, but still, comparable aftermarket systems can sound as good and better for the money those options will cost you. Alot of what makes them sound good is the tuning and equalization applied by the designing sound engineers. A well eqaulized and tuned aftermarket system for the same money, properly tuned will give the levinson systems a run for the money all day long! If when I say aftermarket I mean sony, jensen, etc. I'm not, most mass market stuff is total garbage!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TJM12
Well I'm not talking mark levinson systems and yes they are very good, I'm quite familiar, but still, comparable aftermarket systems can sound as good and better for the money those options will cost you. Alot of what makes them sound good is the tuning and equalization applied by the designing sound engineers. A well eqaulized and tuned aftermarket system for the same money, properly tuned will give the levinson systems a run for the money all day long! If when I say aftermarket I mean sony, jensen, etc. I'm not, most mass market stuff is total garbage!
Just curious, what are the options for aftermarket for eq capabilities? The last time I put a good aftermarket system together, there were just graphic EQ options. That helps but it doesn't give you the capability to EQ and balance individual channels/speakers. Are there any 5.1 surround tuning capabilities on the aftermarket options also?

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-11-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Stock vs Infinity