Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Stero System Upgrade

Old 01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Stero System Upgrade

I am trying to upgrade the sound system for my 2012 two door sport. I am looking to upgrade the head unit to a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, add an amp and upgrade the speakers as well. I seem to be finding different information from different sources. I was wondering if it is possible to retain the SAT radio as well as the steering controls and if so, how?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

I'll only comment on what I know and what I know is that the Sirius subscription is locked to a particular head unit. You can't transfer the subscription over to a different head unit. Stupid, I know. I phoned and confirmed this with a Sirus rep. The solution per Sirus' webiste is to take the head unit with you if you switch vehicles.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rddoyle86
I am trying to upgrade the sound system for my 2012 two door sport. I am looking to upgrade the head unit to a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, add an amp and upgrade the speakers as well. I seem to be finding different information from different sources. I was wondering if it is possible to retain the SAT radio as well as the steering controls and if so, how?
I'll assume your AVIC is Sirius ready so it should be no problem to have SAT radio in your 2012 --- The steering wheel controls can be left active through the use of a PAC device, which essentially runs the steering wheel controls remotely - You car stereo shop should be able to hook all of this up without an issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this. If you have an existing factory amp like the one that comes with the 730N you will need a Metra Chto-03. To retail steering wheel control, you will need Axxess ASWC or something similar. The key word is interface when looking for these parts
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the input. I do not have a factory amp. I have read about the PAC and seen both good and bad things about it. Any help on that? Also, I was more curious about having to buy a SAT radio module because of the aftermarket head unit. I don't see why that would be needed if SAT radio is already in the Jeep. Any way around this?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know alot about sound systems. Not anything about sirius but if you have any question regarding how to get the best sound quality out, how to shake your car an the car next to you, post some info with the type of music u listen to and I will tell you the best stuff to get. If money isn't really an issue I'd say get the top of the line Focal speakers. You can't get any clearer unless you were sitting infront of the artist while they were playing. And if your thinking about subs, I will show u my system and how to make it secure in your car (so it'd take about 2 hours, a crowbar, a air drill w/ a compressor, and a great deal of patience). Mine is set up so if someone gets it all out, I figure they deserve it lol
Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rddoyle86
I don't see why that would be needed if SAT radio is already in the Jeep. Any way around this?
OEM sat radio is built into the head unit.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick
I'll only comment on what I know and what I know is that the Sirius subscription is locked to a particular head unit.
I've known other people on this forum that have done this. Try telling them "OK - then please cancel my subscription". See what that does for ya.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

I just upgraded my sound sytem and decided to stay with my stock headunit. I really like the clean factory look. I bought an audiocontrol 6-channel line output converter so I could run 2 amps. It slides right in where the factory amp would be placed under the sterring wheel. It was $149.00 at crutchfield. I priced out a decent Kenwood headunit for $150 with a $60 sirus add-on, and a $60 PAC control for the steering wheel controls. IMO opinion it is cheaper to get a decent line output converter. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DillionDay
I just upgraded my sound sytem and decided to stay with my stock headunit. I really like the clean factory look. I bought an audiocontrol 6-channel line output converter so I could run 2 amps. It slides right in where the factory amp would be placed under the sterring wheel. It was $149.00 at crutchfield. I priced out a decent Kenwood headunit for $150 with a $60 sirus add-on, and a $60 PAC control for the steering wheel controls. IMO opinion it is cheaper to get a decent line output converter. PM me if you have any specific questions.
that audiocontrol 6-channel line output converter, looks like a real find, i already have great speakers and amps from my previous vehicle and for a change i don't want to put in a fancy aftermarket stereo even though i have a really nice alpine from the previous ride...

i just like the controls on the steering wheel, the free sat radio and not having to worry too much about someone breaking in to rip out the stereo!

matthew

Quick Reply: 2012 Stero System Upgrade