Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 sound system

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weaponx24
So basically, is the infinity amp garbage?
Yes. For a better route and ability to stay 'stock' you gan get the molar 77kick46 amp. It's plug and play replaceable for the infinity and drives the speakers (a bit) better. bUT, the head unit is still the limiting factor. Run an aftermarket hu w the 77kick46, and you will noticable difference. Change the speakers and add a second amp to drive the sound bar and sub... Now your talking.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MoreOvalteenPlz
In my 07 I can take it out by removing the steering column panel and the little panel below it, unscrew and unplug the amp and pull it out through the back by the pedals. I would think that this would work on newer models but I'm not for sure...
Nope. Location moved for '11 and '12. Still under steering column,, but now tucked behind the speaker box.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon

Yes. For a better route and ability to stay 'stock' you gan get the molar 77kick46 amp. It's plug and play replaceable for the infinity and drives the speakers (a bit) better. bUT, the head unit is still the limiting factor. Run an aftermarket hu w the 77kick46, and you will noticable difference. Change the speakers and add a second amp to drive the sound bar and sub... Now your talking.
Mopar, not molar... Stupid iPad word correct.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

How is the HU the limiting factor as it is only providing (or should only be providing) a non amplified source?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CoreyZ

How is the HU the limiting factor as it is only providing (or should only be providing) a non amplified source?
The output from the stock hu sucks... Way low. You are amping crap basically. Listen, I'm not going to argue... Find me and pull up beside and I'll let you hear the difference.

I went the whole route... Swapped the infinity amp for the 77kick46... Did a little, not much. Then replaced all speakers... A bit better, but not where it should be. Then replaced hu... Dramatic difference... Then added second amp to power the soundbar and sub... And wallllll-ah!

So, take my advise and experience if you want... Or do what-ever you like.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool man! Thanks for the advice! How much did the whole transplant cost you? Did you do the install yourself?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot

i dont know if the factory infinity amp is a 5 channel or not, but on the upgraded systems there is an the amp mounted under the steering wheel....the sub may have a sep amp.
Thanks for the heads up
Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by weaponx24

Cool man! Thanks for the advice! How much did the whole transplant cost you? Did you do the install yourself?
Did it myself. Just price out the pieces... With speakers, amp (x2) head unit, and wiring... Close to $1,800.... But that includes:
Sony xnv-770bt cd/DVD/nav 7" screen
77kick46 amp
Good 5 channel amp
Marine grade mids and tweets (Polk)
Amp cables
Speaker wire
10" sub (Polk)

You can do it cheaper... I went pretty high end on all components.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by calys003

Thanks for the heads up
Single amp. On infinity setup. Behind driver side dash mid speaker box on '11's and later
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Bought my Unlimited JK Arctic Edition...It had the Infinity to stereo with sub...You
always need to upgrade ( well i do )...Changed the speakers in sound bar and front Alpine...
added a 12 " Pioneer sub with MTX 500 watt amp...MTX you could control the BASS
that you want at your fingertips...Now everything is better...

Quick Reply: 2012 sound system