Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 OEM Switch Panel Blanks SOLVED

Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 OEM Switch Panel Blanks SOLVED

Hey guys, should quick introduce myself, Ive been a keeper for just about 3 years when I bought a 98 TJ. It only took me a couple months before I started modifying it and ended up making the "Jeeputer" automated Arduino system for it. ( YouTube Link )

Well I just bought a brand new 2012 Orange Crush JK Unlimited... LOVE IT! Its my first new vehicle ever! But the negative side to a new vehicle is having caution about modifying it as you don't want to ruin anything. So my first thing I looked up was where to purchase switches to replace the blanks in the OEM switch panel, and to my discovery everyone said it is not possible and to stay away. Well.. I decided to give it a look myself and came up with this...

Its basic for now and nothing to permanent was done. I removed a blank, sanded down one side of it to give it room to pivot on the hinge and then add a momentary pushbutton underneath (does not affect circuit board). It worked perfectly the first time. This is going to be used as a switch wired to my garage door opener and some other wireless transmitters I have. I like the stock look here.. at least for now!

Im sure a pushbutton ON/OFF switch can be easily added as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrDxvd6uj4
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this idea. I would love to just use the blanks that are there for aux stuff. Nicely done. Now to search for push on and off buttons to fit.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, I too was interested in turning these buttons into functioning ones at some point.

Keep us posted on the durability of this, and now I wonder if there is much difference between the 2012's and the older style.

Love the arduino, little nerdy, that's why it's so cool. Post up if and when you do anything remotely similar to the 2012.

Quick Reply: 2012 OEM Switch Panel Blanks SOLVED