Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 JK System Build - New HU, speakers, sub, amp and wiring

Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in short a new HU on back system. All new power supply from the battery to the amp with a 4 gauge andanother 12 gauge into the cabin using a relay to switch on +12v constant to everything else. Ran 3 sets of RCA from HU to the 5-channel amp and ran new wiring from the amp to all 4 speakers. Left everything factory in tact - just unplugged them all. Dropped the JLW3 in the sub tub and added CLD tiles and CCF (Closed Cellular Foam) to reduce resonance and drop some of the road noise. I didn't go with MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) in addition of the CCF as it won't make a difference in a Jeep. Too much road and wind noise. Mostly just wanted a bit of sound deadener between the rug and the metal.

The amp does an amazing job at powering everything and does not kill the battery at all. No dimming of lights etc and does not get hot at all which is my reason for going with a Class D amp. It is tucked away and allows the seat to fully open and close without hitting anything.

HU is also very good for a Single DIN. It really works well and puts out a great quality sound. Speakers are set-up with most of the volume from the fronts, tweeters crossed over and overall blended with rears. Front woofers add very slight bass and the sound bar speakers are mid fill mostly. The bass is mostly from the sub. All 6 front speakers crossed over at the right frequencies (forget exact settings) so that I can crank it until I am deaf and it doesn't clip.

A lot of work went into it and I haven't looked back. The Crapfinity 130 was specifically purchased knowing it had about a week long lifespan. I had the goods on order before I picked up the Jeep.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

i get up to rhode island from time to time for work. i would love to meet upsometime so i can hear your setup. im looking at doing almost the same set up you have. i will pm ya sometime.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bludevlsi
i get up to rhode island from time to time for work. i would love to meet upsometime so i can hear your setup. im looking at doing almost the same set up you have. i will pm ya sometime.
Sounds good.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what exactly did you use from the PAC harness? Just power for the HU? And why two harnesses? Looks good.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

. I went with the PAC-Audio harness to not cut factory wiring. Also I left all factory speaker wiring intact and ran 100% new wiring from the HU back. That way if I were to ever *gasp* get rid of the Jeep, I can revert to stock.

I'll be running pretty close to the exact setup you have here. When you say you ran new wiring, it that just simply running your new wire straight from your aftermarket speakers to your aftermarket amp? The only wires coming from the HU is the RCA and remote, correct?

Quick Reply: 2012 JK System Build - New HU, speakers, sub, amp and wiring