Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Infinity System Replacement/Upgrade Write-up

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Infinity System Replacement/Upgrade Write-up

Ok I finished the install of my sound system upgrade. After experimenting with a MYGIG RBZ and trying to add an after-market amp, I decided to ditch the Mygig and go with an aftermarket head unit due to the limitations of the Infinity amp.

My current system:

JVC KW-AV70BT DVD/Receiver with Bluetooth
Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel amp (60WX4 RMS/250WX1 RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DXI6500 components (Front) (125W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DXI650 coaxials (Rear) (100W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DB840 8" subwoofer (180W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Metra Axxess ASWC steering controls adapter
Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter
Metra 70-6522 factory harness adapter
JVC KS-U30 Iphone/Ipod interface cable

My goal from the start was to increase volume and SQ, especially rear sound bar, since I run doorless/topless all summer. All I can say is...WOW!!
The Infinity system really is garbage, no comparison.

The Polks really sing with this HU and amp combo. The DXI's fit perfectly in the front pods and sound bar. I used the adapters from Crutchfield and Polk Audio to mount the 6.5's in the pods, ran all new 16 AWG speaker wire to everything and used some Polyfill in the pods, sound bar, and factory sub enclosure. The DB840 fit perfectly in the sub enclosure after drilling new mounting holes (8 vs. 6). I used an 8" grille from Parts Express, nice clean factory look.

I installed the Alpine amp under the passenger seat, incorporating it directly into the seat frame, just fit! I mounted the crossovers directly below the front speaker pods on the back of the dash trim using velcro strips. I ran RCA cables from the HU pre-amp outs and turn-on wire down the right side of center console and over to the amp under the passenger seat. All of the factory speaker wiring is still intact, just left disconnected, including the Infinity amp connectors.

I used the Metra 70-6522 harness to tap 12V continuous power from the factory radio harness. I had to solder/splice the steering wheel adapter to the canbus wires on the factory harness and tapped the retained accessory power for the head unit and steering adapter from the power window buttons.

I'm using the JVC's built-in adjustable crossovers for the front (80hz), rear (120 Hz) and sub (60 Hz), with the amps gains all at midpoint and crossovers set for full range/disabled.

The MOG iphone music app is awesome and works well with the JVC unit, 360kbs bit-stream rate. I tied the HU's parking brake wire directly to the HU chassis/ground for full video in motion. For Nav I'm using MotionX GPS Drive app through the ipod cable and it interfaces perfectly with the touch screen.

All in all very happy with this system, especially having some Bass frequencies again, nothing earth shattering but enough to feel it.

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a nice setup. It's been on my mind that I may want to upgrade sometime, although I think I keep the stock setup for a bit. I like good sound and the Infinity sound is not reproducing all the frequencies with the clarity and fullness I would like. Also there is some real drop on the lower end with some frequencies being barely audible. I would prefer to keep the 430n though and just upgrade the speakers.

Do you have the connectivity group with the usb input in the console and are you able to still use it or is there no way to keep that connection? Are the steering wheel controls fully functional or did you lose use of a few buttons?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kaffeene
Seems like a nice setup. It's been on my mind that I may want to upgrade sometime, although I think I keep the stock setup for a bit. I like good sound and the Infinity sound is not reproducing all the frequencies with the clarity and fullness I would like. Also there is some real drop on the lower end with some frequencies being barely audible. I would prefer to keep the 430n though and just upgrade the speakers.

Do you have the connectivity group with the usb input in the console and are you able to still use it or is there no way to keep that connection? Are the steering wheel controls fully functional or did you lose use of a few buttons?
I did not have connectivity group; with the aftermarket head unit I now have all the same features as a MYGIG unit (bluetooth streaming audio, hands-free phone connectivity with my iphone, as well as usb input and ipod/iphone interface so I don't need the console usb jack); I purchased a steering adapter which works perfectly with the JVC head unit, (Vol up/down and source select right side, station/track advance/menu etc. left side). Simple hook-up; it connects to the retained accessory 12V power and ground, and to the Canbus wires on the factory radio harness.

It also has separate Video and rear camera inputs, though I'm not using them yet.

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-19-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Too Funny!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

How much did it cost and how much time did it take to install?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
How much did it cost and how much time did it take to install?
About $1000 for everything:

JVC KW-AV70BT DVD/Receiver with Bluetooth $325 Amazon
Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel amp (60WX4 RMS/250WX1 RMS @ 4 Ohms) $259 Ebay
Polk Audio DXI6500 components (Front) (125W RMS @ 4 Ohms) $150 Crutchfield
Polk Audio DXI650 coaxials (Rear) (100W RMS @ 4 Ohms) $75 Crutchfield
Polk Audio DB840 8" subwoofer (180W RMS @ 4 Ohms) $55 Amazon, 8" 2-piece grille $9 Amazon
Metra Axxess ASWC steering controls adapter $41 Amazon
Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter $11 Amazon
Metra 70-6522 factory harness adapter $9 Amazon
JVC KS-U30 Iphone/Ipod interface cable $32 Amazon
50 ft 16AWG speaker wire, 3 RCA cables 6ft $30 Lowes

Since I didn't have all the components at once, I spent a few hours a day for about a week, starting with the speaker wiring, then the amp install, then the speakers, then the head unit and steering controls adapter (after I ditched the Mygig RBZ), and finally the subwoofer, probably 12-15 hours total, and 10 or 15 beers!

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-21-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the detailed info.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Ok I finished the install of my sound system upgrade. After experimenting with a MYGIG RBZ and trying to add an after-market amp, I decided to ditch the Mygig and go with an aftermarket head unit due to the limitations of the Infinity amp.

My current system:

JVC KW-AV70BT DVD/Receiver with Bluetooth
Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel amp (60WX4 RMS/250WX1 RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DXI6500 components (Front) (125W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DXI650 coaxials (Rear) (100W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Polk Audio DB840 8" subwoofer (180W RMS @ 4 Ohms)
Metra Axxess ASWC steering controls adapter
Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter
Metra 70-6522 factory harness adapter
JVC KS-U30 Iphone/Ipod interface cable

My goal from the start was to increase volume and SQ, especially rear sound bar, since I run doorless/topless all summer. All I can say is...WOW!!
The Infinity system really is garbage, no comparison.

The Polks really sing with this HU and amp combo. The DXI's fit perfectly in the front pods and sound bar. I used the adapters from Crutchfield and Polk Audio to mount the 6.5's in the pods, ran all new 16 AWG speaker wire to everything and used some Polyfill in the pods, sound bar, and factory sub enclosure. The DB840 fit perfectly in the sub enclosure after drilling new mounting holes (8 vs. 6). I used an 8" grille from Parts Express, nice clean factory look.

I installed the Alpine amp under the passenger seat, incorporating it directly into the seat frame, just fit! I mounted the crossovers directly below the front speaker pods on the back of the dash trim using velcro strips. I ran RCA cables from the HU pre-amp outs and turn-on wire down the right side of center console and over to the amp under the passenger seat. All of the factory speaker wiring is still intact, just left disconnected, including the Infinity amp connectors.

I used the Metra 70-6522 harness to tap 12V continuous power from the factory radio harness. I had to solder/splice the steering wheel adapter to the canbus wires on the factory harness and tapped the retained accessory power for the head unit and steering adapter from the power window buttons.

I'm using the JVC's built-in adjustable crossovers for the front (80hz), rear (120 Hz) and sub (60 Hz), with the amps gains all at midpoint and crossovers set for full range/disabled.

The MOG iphone music app is awesome and works well with the JVC unit, 360kbs bit-stream rate. I tied the HU's parking brake wire directly to the HU chassis/ground for full video in motion. For Nav I'm using MotionX GPS Drive app through the ipod cable and it interfaces perfectly with the touch screen.

All in all very happy with this system, especially having some Bass frequencies again, nothing earth shattering but enough to feel it.
Sounds like a great set up but when u said infinite system is garbage in beg to differ.... At least to me.... I went from a stereo that the knows fell off and only had to semi working speakers to that infinite system... Wow! Lol but sounds like u put some work into urs! I bet it's awesome!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil

Sounds like a great set up but when u said infinite system is garbage in beg to differ.... At least to me.... I went from a stereo that the knows fell off and only had to semi working speakers to that infinite system... Wow! Lol but sounds like u put some work into urs! I bet it's awesome!
Check your spelling, LOL!

Infinity makes some great products, I was considering Kappa series speakers for my system. But don't be fooled by the cheap made in Mexico factory speakers which are simply branded by Infinity for Chrysler.
If you drive a soft top, especially with top and doors off you'd understand the need for more volume and clarity.

Last edited by vulcan classic; 09-22-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Infinity System Replacement/Upgrade Write-up