Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 heated seats installed at dealer?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 heated seats installed at dealer?

Anyone had a dealer install "factory heated seats" in their 2012?

I had Adams Jeep in Annapolis, Md install the heated seats today. I asked the service writer when I ordered the parts if they were all OEM and if the switches would be in the factory location. Long story short, I picked the jeep up ten minutes before they closed and by the time the jeep was brought around the service writer was gone. When I got in the jeep the switches were not the 2012 factory ones and they were down by the e-brake in the center console. I asked another service writer that happened to still be there about it. He went back to the shop and asked the shop guys and they told him that was the only kit available. I should just call my service writer tomorrow because he did not know anything about my conversation with the other guy. Great service guys!

Anyone know or had the dealer install heated seats in their 2012 and they actually used the factory switches in the factory dash location??? Is that even available thru the dealer if not installed by the factory? Can't tell me they don't have the right parts... The parts counter is 15 feet away.

Ever feel like you got lied to by a sales guy and you should/ could have just installed it yourself?? Grrrrrrrrrr......
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No they do not use the factory location.

They mounted my switches below the center console lid

Pull the installation guide up on mopars website and you'll see as well

I think it had something to do with the can bus system computer crap

Yes I'd like factory switches but considering what I paid for the upgrade I am happy
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lesson learned. I've heard about simmular issues. The only way to get some equipment OEM is to get your Jeep shipped from the factory with it. You probably could have done an aftermarket install yourself relatively easy. But making it look OEM is much harder. And that is probably why they do the install that way.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I asked the same question as I was debating on a few different jeeps and they stated the switches would not be in the factory location.
Bummer that you were lied to
Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Lesson learned. I've heard about simmular issues. The only way to get some equipment OEM is to get your Jeep shipped from the factory with it. You probably could have done an aftermarket install yourself relatively easy. But making it look OEM is much harder. And that is probably why they do the install that way.
Yep, they are easy to install. I installed them in my S2000 and guess what? The switches were installed where I wanted them!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine are aftermarket and are the same way. I'm sure that it is possible to get them done just like factory ordered ones but it would be extremely costly. Like mentioned earlier the factory ones run off the canbus system. I believe all dealers install the setup that you have if it wasn't factory ordered. The kit is not really vehicle specific as it can be used in many different vehicles, it is only a set of pads with a positive and negative wire that needs to be connected to power them up. The switches themselves just pop into a 5/8'' or so round hole and can be mounted various different places. The problem with mounting them where the factory ones come is that the bezel is not completely flat and they wouldn't fit as good as they would on a flat surface such as the console. One advantage to them is that they are not controlled by the canbus and when turned on they will not shut off after a certain time period like the factory ones - you manually have to turn them off.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Can you post a photo of the swith location. I actually am getting ready to order the same kid from the same dealership. Are these switches mounted just foward of the emergency brake lever?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler
Can you post a photo of the swith location. I actually am getting ready to order the same kid from the same dealership. Are these switches mounted just foward of the emergency brake lever?
You can actually choose the mounting location with an aftermarket install. But it has to be a location where the switches have room to mount. And the wireing is long enough to reach.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't understand why this is such an issue! Why can't you get a switch module out of a JK that came with heated seats factory and wire them up? takes a little research and some money but I think I may do it.

Unless someone knows why it can't be done?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by King_
I don't understand why this is such an issue! Why can't you get a switch module out of a JK that came with heated seats factory and wire them up? takes a little research and some money but I think I may do it.

Unless someone knows why it can't be done?
The wireing may or may not be there for the switches.
The wireing for the heating pads is most likely not there.
All of these wires would have to go back to the TIPM modual to make it work like OEM ( Not impossible but PITA )
Trip to the dealer for the computer flash $$$.
Yes, it can be done. But how bad do you really want it done this way?

Last edited by JK-Ford; 02-10-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 heated seats installed at dealer?