Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 upgades

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fivepack1966
Even if I'm just tapping them for the sub?
Yes because you won't get much "sub bass" performance if the signal is cut at like 120hz to the rears which I think they are, why do you think the stock sound bar speakers sound so anemic?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been mentioned before that the factory JK radio will limit the lower frequencies to the rear speakers, particularly on JKs with soft tops. There is a thread in the write up section about putting a jumper in the hard top harness that will help restore the lower frequencies. Some people will swear by this jumper, others have found no difference.

While it may be a PIA, you could try to see if there is a difference between the LOC running of the front vs rear channels. I do not recall anyone posting with these results.

I would also recommend checking out the infinity basslink. It is one of the most popular packaged sub combos.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you! I'll try that tomorrow when I get ready to start on this.....
Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

thank you! I'll try that tomorrow when I get ready to start on this.....
Also worth noting...a lot of subwoofer/built in amp combos such as the aforementioned infinity basslink don't require a LOC, they have both high and low level inputs on them usually.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJM12
Also worth noting...a lot of subwoofer/built in amp combos such as the aforementioned infinity basslink don't require a LOC, they have both high and low level inputs on them usually.
Excellent point. Can't believe I forgot to mention that!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Installed the Boston acoustics challenger speakers in the front today, wow huge difference. Polyfilled and dynamatted the boxes as well. Sound bar speakers are on order. Will polyfil and dynamat it as well. I checked out the bass link but they are back ordered and more expensive than the bazooka tube, so I'll probably go the bz tube route.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Installed the Boston acoustics challenger speakers in the front today, wow huge difference. Polyfilled and dynamatted the boxes as well. Sound bar speakers are on order. Will polyfil and dynamat it as well. I checked out the bass link but they are back ordered and more expensive than the bazooka tube, so I'll probably go the bz tube route.
Check out kicker, they make some pretty sweet amplified, all in one, subwoofers that will probably out pound the bazooka
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got a kicker sub/amp that fits under the passenger seat. It is a nice unit, sounds great, and was reasonably priced. I have not heard the sound with the hard top removed, but sound with hard top is great. It vibes my wife's butt, but isn't so loud you annoy people at stoplights.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BombJock
I just got a kicker sub/amp that fits under the passenger seat. It is a nice unit, sounds great, and was reasonably priced. I have not heard the sound with the hard top removed, but sound with hard top is great. It vibes my wife's butt, but isn't so loud you annoy people at stoplights.
What's the model number?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

It was a kicker hideaway series. I think an NS 8 or an HS 8. I can't remember.

Quick Reply: 2011 upgades