Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 upgades

Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 upgades

Kay here's my question. If this has been answered elsewhere I couldn't find it. I want to upgrade my speakers to the Boston acoustics on another thread here and add a stand alone sub. The stock system is a two ohm system will using the LOC supplied with the sub which is a four ohm system have an affect on the systems sound? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump.....anyone?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

I think you need to be clearer as to what exactly you are trying to do.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Some background information would also be useful.

Is the system that you are trying to upgrade the infinity system or standard?

Are you changing out the stock head unit?

Are you adding an amplifier to power the stand alone subwoofer?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I think this is what you are asking:

You are planning on using the rear speaker channels to feed a subwoofer. You are going to use a line output converter to feed an amplifier to power the subwoofer. You want to know if the subwoofer impedance will have an effect on the head unit (and other speakers).

No, the impedance of the subwoofer will have no effect on the rest of the stereo system.

The amplifier is responsible for handling the load of the subwoofer. As long as your amp can handle the sub, you should be good to go.

Technically the "load" that you head unit will see is the line output converter. Since the impedance of the line output converter is higher than that of the speaker that it replaced, you should see a slight improvement to the power delivered to the other speakers in the system. Running different loads on each channel should also not negatively effect the heat unit.

Hope that helped!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you... yes I'm planning on replacing the spreakers with the Boston Acoustics speakers for the Dodge Challenger, they're 2 ohms like the factory system. I'll stay with the factory head unit, until I can replace it with something better but that will be a few years and mods down the road. I want to add something like a bazooka tube, MTX, or some other sub that comes with an amplifier, not looking to rattle windows just a little better bass. Does the line out connecter replace the speakes on the channel that you wire them into or can you run both the speakers and the LOC on the rear channel wires?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also this is the standard system....
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your tapping speakers for signal for your LOC, you would be better off taping the fronts, they provide more of a usable full range signal.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even if I'm just tapping them for the sub?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

The line output converter should replace one of the speakers in your system (since you sub only needs one channel).

However, since the resistance of the line output converter is so high, wiring the LOC in series with one of the rear speakers may be possible. Example: If the resistance of the speaker is 2 ohm, and the LOC is 1000 ohm, wiring them is series would yield a load of 1.996 ohms. The stereo should be able to handle this minute change in load.

I would recommend wiring up one of the speakers and the LOC in series outside of the vehicle, then measure the resistance using a multimeter. If the load is close to 2, you should be OK.

I cannot absolutely guarantee this will work without causing issues or damage with the stereo, so proceed at your own risk. Would I be willing to try it in my JK, sure! If you wanted to be really safe, you could change out your rear speakers for 4 ohm speakers. You would lose some power to the rear speakers though.

Quick Reply: 2011 upgades