Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2010 U-Connect Help, what parts do i need

Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 U-Connect Help, what parts do i need

I have a 2010 with the factory Sirius Cd player radio. It has the U-Connect buttons on it, but I dont have the U-Connect option.

Does anyone know what parts I need to make the U-Connect work, is it more that adding a microphone?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default UConnect

If it's a non-nav unit, you need to drop another $200+ on the UConnect kit. Non-nav Mygigs don't have the bluetooth hardware in the unit.

If it's a nav mygig, I you can add the microphone if you don't already have it.

In either case, you need to add the lockpick (another $200) to enable the functionality.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tried to post a helpful link to another forum, but this place sucks and won't let me do it...

you need this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_9004.htm

and then get your dealership to register it. You can find the part quad sells cheaper online and on e-bay.

Last edited by chipmaker; 09-08-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Axe
JK Enthusiast

So you cant use the phone buttons on the Mygig, you have to mount that additional switch somewhere? (the one from Q-tec)
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

My gig is a different animal, find the lock pick thread...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Somebody needs to make a well written FAQ on this issue and then make it sticky.

If you have certain models of the MyGig, then all you need is a microphone and the latest software.
Other models of MyGig apparently need an external uConnect box.
Most of the 6 Disc and Single Disc players that have the uConnect button can be made to work with the external box.

2 years ago I emailed Chrysler to complain about the lack of documentation around this hole issue and they send me a $50 credit to be used on parts.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

What model radio do you have? If it's the "RES" radio (letters in lower right corner of front panel), you need the u-Connect module (P/N 82211878) and if you want to use the iPod capability, you need the iPod cable, P/N 82212000. The module has a cable that plugs into the back of the radio and mounts below the glove box. Then you need a dealer to Starscan your computer so the uConnect will work. I did my RES radio and it works very well. If you are going to use it with an iTouch, you will be fine if you are running 3.1.3 software although later software will not work correctly with the uConnect. Supposedly Apple says they are going to do a software update that will fix it but so far, they haven't done it.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Originally Posted by husker_fan
I have a 2010 with the factory Sirius Cd player radio. It has the U-Connect buttons on it, but I dont have the U-Connect option.

Does anyone know what parts I need to make the U-Connect work, is it more that adding a microphone?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Axe
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Octo
Somebody needs to make a well written FAQ on this issue and then make it sticky.

If you have certain models of the MyGig, then all you need is a microphone and the latest software.
Other models of MyGig apparently need an external uConnect box.
Most of the 6 Disc and Single Disc players that have the uConnect button can be made to work with the external box.

2 years ago I emailed Chrysler to complain about the lack of documentation around this hole issue and they send me a $50 credit to be used on parts.
Well put Octo.

I have the RBZ Mygig, and scanning through these threads is almost as confusing as the "What lift should I get" threads!

All because I want bluetooth on a new $30k vehicle - thanks Chrysler! I paid less for the 09 Titan and the 2010 Camaro, and bluetooth was included. What a concept!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Axe
Well put Octo.

I have the RBZ Mygig, and scanning through these threads is almost as confusing as the "What lift should I get" threads!

All because I want bluetooth on a new $30k vehicle - thanks Chrysler! I paid less for the 09 Titan and the 2010 Camaro, and bluetooth was included. What a concept!
I understand Chrysler's reluctance to put Bluetooth in the Wrangler for two reasons. One there is a pile of wind noise when the doors and/or roof are off and two the natural spot to put the mic is on the rear view mirror, but this runs into problems because of the foldable wind shield. There should be a nice technical bulletin that clearly states that Chrysler will not be held responsible for damage or poor results, but here are the parts you need.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

If you have a MyGig with NAV (ie the RER), then you DON'T need the external Uconnect Module.

All other radios, you will need the external U-Connect module including the MyGig REN (non Navi).

You don't need a Lock Pick for any of them for UConnect, you just need to go to a dealer to have them enable the U-Connect functionality.....except for either of the MyGigs, since it can be enabled from within the MyGig.

You will need an external mic for all radios, if not included with the U-Connect module.

Is that simplified enough?

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-08-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 U-Connect Help, what parts do i need