Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2010 JK- Fuse box replacement

Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by quiver2003
Both left and right brake lights work fine. The only issue is the 3rd brake light. I called the dealer yesterday and walked them through my thought process on how everything else works but the 3rd brake light and the entire TIPM needs replacing. I also asked why the fuse was not blown and he indicated it was only the circuit board area for that M1 transistor. Does not make sense. He indicated Jeep would not cover under warranty due to the custom/3rd party wiring I did for the 3rd brake light. At this point, I am tempted to just connect directly into the passenger side brake light vs paying the 900.00 the dealer wants.

I may also take it to my local jeep mechanic and see if they come to the same conclusion as the dealer but my inspection sticker is now dead .
Fuse M1 is for the third brake light. The third brake light is not controlled by the TIPM in any way. It is a direct, hard wired circuit from the battery, through M1, through the pedal switch, and on to the light.
If your regular brake lights work, the TIPM is fine, as they are controlled by the TIPM, triggered by power on the third brake light circuit.
So, your third brake light wiring may be bad somewhere after the pedal switch. You did say there was no power at the OEM light connection, right?

Here is how the third brake light circuit is set up:

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-05-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to ronjenx's last post the dealer may be less than truthful or does not know wiring well. You just need to trace the circuit to see where you are loosing power. Could just be a bad connection, open in the wire (break in the conductor some times visible sometimes hidden by the wire insulation) or Brake light switch. To check this see if you have power at the brake light switch from the fuse. Then check for power out. If that's good check for power at the 3rd light. If that is good check the ground wire. if not inspect the wire for a break. My guess is to check the wire harness near where it rubbed as it may have stretched and separated the conductor. If that is it splice in a good piece of wire and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK- Fuse box replacement