Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 JKU front dome light

Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 JKU front dome light

Was getting ready to wire in some supplemental LED strips off of my front and rear dome lights. When I tapped into the front one it stopped working. The rear dome light works fine? I checked fuse M20 it was fine. Does anyone have any idea where I lost power to the light? Is there an inline fuse I don't know about? Next step will be to chase the wire down, if it terminates into the canbus system I'm lost. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you tap it at?
Could you have a bad connection at the tap?
Is the column switch turned all the way to off?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Put a + and - lead in at the connector of the dome light. Tried the bulb in the rear dome and works fine. Seems like I shorted it, but did not pop the fuse(m20). I assumed the yellow coming into the dome was hot and the gray wire was ground. Still confused as to what might have happened.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

So your saying you put the front bulb in the rear and it worked?
Did the led strip ever work hooked up like that?
If you remove the led strip will the dome light work?
Where will you be mounting your led strips?
Do you have a voltmeter or other tester?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Mounting led strips in front and behind front roll bar.
Led never worked from dome light.
Led does work from 12v source.
Original bulb from dome works in rear but not front.
Do have voltmeter, can not get 12v to show from yellow and gray wires.
I don't see any other ground, and have no idea what I blew out, any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

The yellow wire with the white stripe is power. I don't see a gray wire in the diagram. Ground is a black wire.
The cargo dome light gets power from the same source as the front dome light. Since the cargo dome light works, the problem has to be in the area of the tap you installed.

Did you use the type of tap that cuts through the insulation when you snap it closed? They will sometimes also cut the wire inside.

Does the gray wire you mentioned go into the dome light fixture?

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-28-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

There is no permanent tap yet, I tapped into it with open leads from the led I want to install and it shut down.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

That's odd. Maybe cut the factory wiring about a foot from the dome light ( so its easy to splice back together ) and do another voltage test to eliminate the dome light splice, connector, and dome light all together. I kinda hope your problem is there.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Somehow I now have 12 volts at the front dome. The led bulb i had in still did not work until i turned it around. Now it works. I feel like a dope but I checked voltage multiple times in the past few days. Always checked while bulb was in do don't know if yhat made a difference. All is good. Will post picks when I install led bars. Thanks for the support everyone!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMoe
Somehow I now have 12 volts at the front dome. The led bulb i had in still did not work until i turned it around. Now it works. I feel like a dope but I checked voltage multiple times in the past few days. Always checked while bulb was in do don't know if yhat made a difference. All is good. Will post picks when I install led bars. Thanks for the support everyone!
Glad it's working.
So, I wonder why it didn't work when you put the original bulb back in. (The bulb that worked in the back, but not the front.)

Quick Reply: 2008 JKU front dome light