Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 JK Rugged Ridge Light Bar Install

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
the other pics look awesome, so i noticed your only using one battery? and you have a winch and a handful of lights are you looking to add another battery down the line or is your one batter really cutting it? im at a stand still right now to either get my winch and lights or to upgrade to a dual battery set up so im not sure what to do first.
Sorry I have been away for a while. I haven't really given a thought on adding a dual battery but it is a great point. I have always liked the optima batteries and would consider replacing with that option. I will have to look at the jeep and see where we can add a secondary battery. I have yet to use the winch but the lighting has not had any issues with power draw. They are wired in with the acesssory power so if I did leave them on they will turn off with the jeep. I'll keep you posted on what i find. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by linkphotography
what size lights are those?
Sorry It took so long to reply, I have been away for a while. I believe the lights are the PIAA 520 series which are 6 1/4" in diameter. I can reconfirm the model and PM. They make both a driving and fog type setup. The light bar is using the driving lamp which is a white light and the bumper has the fog setup which has the yellow tint. Hope this helps!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vedo13
I'm a total wiring novice, so.... how did you run the switch wire and tie it into the fuse box on the ignition side of the power. I mean which fuse? Or was it a spare spot with a rated fuse already in it that you just tapped into? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ignition side of the power." Did you run the wire straight under the blade and push the fuse back into the fuse box?? Just trying to learn. Would help loads if you could explain a bit to this novice.

Many Thanks!!
Vedo
Sorry for the delay, I have been away for awhile. The nice thing about the wiring is you can tie it in by a host of different opitons. If you have a volt meter it would definitely help to pinpoint the best wire to use. However, the easiest route to go is to tie into one of the parking lamps of the jeep. So if you run the switch lead through the firewall and you can use a splice type connector to tie in the power for your lights. This will enable power to the lights when you parking lamps are turned on and give you the ablility to have the aux lamps on without the driving lamps on. Hopefully this can point you in the right direction and you are more than welcome to PM me and I will help anyway I can. Thanks and good luck. T.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

What are those three PIAA boxes for? Do I need those to install my PIAA 520's?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, great post, but not in detail enough for a dumbass like me lol, have you done something more in detail? more pics? and how you installed the switch panel?, i could make it a PDF file to download. There are so many of us out there that love these jeeps but dont have the necessary knoweledge to complete these mods and end up paying someone to do it.

In any case its probably the best ive seen.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Great post, but like Xknight said, a bit more detail would have helped. I have a 94 YJ that I poured alot of money into having someone else fix up for me, and with my JK I'm taking a more hands on approach and write ups like yours help me do that.

If you did have a pdf or doc file with more detail, that would be great, my girlfriend got me the same light bar for christmas and I wanted to install ASAP for our ski trip. Ill be sure to use your exisiting write up, but if something more detailed comes along Ill check it out. Thanks again, and the bar looks great!

Quick Reply: 2008 JK Rugged Ridge Light Bar Install