Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 JK GPS Problems

Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JK GPS Problems

Hello all. I've searched and nothing quite like my problem. I have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Auto. My GPS on my radio shows my position 15-20 miles away. The arrow moves when I'm driving but it shows my position is way off. It's been this way since I drove it home from the dealership a week ago.

Now I've heard other peoples problems with there not being any satellites available however that is not quite the case with me. Upon start up the screen says its updating my position, then gives me my bad position. Taking it into the dealer, they quoted me a $1,700+ bill for changing out the radio. They said another thing it could be is the GPS antenna but that it would be equally expensive.

In an attempt to make things right, the dealership is going to buy me a Garmin GPS with window mount. While I can appreciate this gesture, it doesn't fix my radio. The dealership is not offering to fix the radio since I bought it like that and they don't want to shell out $1,000+.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and what was the resolve? What are your ideas?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Replace your factory GPS antenna with an antenna that has a longer cord and move it to you rollbar. The factory antenna is located in the dash right above the radio and it gets poor reception in that location. Moving it to the rollbar allows it to connect with more satellites for better tracking.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I assume you mean the $35-40 part?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just buy an off the shelf Sirius antenna there around $20 and push real hard into the factory plug it will work fine also you might want to upgrade your mygig software to see if it helps google (mygig forum)it will have all the info for your nav there

Last edited by JeeP_MarK; 04-25-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
Replace your factory GPS antenna with an antenna that has a longer cord and move it to you rollbar. The factory antenna is located in the dash right above the radio and it gets poor reception in that location. Moving it to the rollbar allows it to connect with more satellites for better tracking.
The antenna over the radio is for the compass on the dash. The Nav antenna is on the roll bar.
I agree to try and update the mygig software.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I was told an update was performed, radio was rebooted, and the problem persisted. So there is an antenna for the compass under the dash and another one on the roll bar? I assumed the one under the dash, from what I read, was the GPS. About where abouts is the GPS reciever on the roll bar? Is this what I need RER GPS Antenna ('07-'10 Wrangler) ?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

The GPS antenna is just above the radio, under the plastic cover. Mine is attached to the dash with double sided tape.

The compass antenna is attached to the underside of the plastic dash cover.

The Sirius antenna is on the passenger side rollbar.

That link contains the GPS antenna I bought for my 2010 RER. Do not get an aftermarket antenna with a magnetic base, it will screw with the compass.

Later models have a combined GPS/Sirius antenna.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would call the main mo-fo at the stealership, and not take no for an answer.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmorOfGod
I was told an update was performed, radio was rebooted, and the problem persisted. So there is an antenna for the compass under the dash and another one on the roll bar? I assumed the one under the dash, from what I read, was the GPS. About where abouts is the GPS reciever on the roll bar? Is this what I need RER GPS Antenna ('07-'10 Wrangler) ?
I bought an aftermarket GPS antenna on Ebay about 4 years ago and I placed it in the driver's side roll bar with double stick tape. I haven't had a single issue with my nav locating satellites.

I think the antenna that you linked above is for the factory GPS antenna that mounts under the center console cover. In the factory location, the GPS antenna shares real estate with the compass antenna and that is a factor in the poor reception. I also agree with an earlier poster that you should search for an aftermarket GPS antenna without a magnetic base.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate all the help. I sat and talked with the general manager for 15 minutes about the issue. Initially he said he wasn't going to do much. I figured a brand new Garmin for $200-300? would be good and I just get the antenna for $30-40 and sell the Garmin as new. He also wasn't wanting to do much for me since I worked them down on the price almost $5,000.

I'll search aftermarket non-magnetic GPS antenna for my radio. Any suggested websites would help also if anyone is familiar with any.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK GPS Problems