Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2 door subwoofers?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished mine!

OK so I finally finished mine. Had to wait for the rear speaker brackets to come in. If you don't order your speakers from Crutchfield, you can still order the brackets.

I am extremely happy with how everything turned out and the sound as a first plug it in turn it on is really pretty good. I still need to level it out because using the stock head unit there is some distortion, but less than I expected. I have two aftermarket equalizers I might eventually add, but for now I am happy.

So the basic setup:

Polk 6.5 components in the front and tweeters
Polk 6.5 slim coaxs in the sound bar
Polk 12" Sub in Ebay standard truck style enclosure (the polk subs need less than 1 cu.ft. of enclosure)
JL Audio 4 Channel a1400
Polk MOMO c300.2 2 channel amp bridged to mono
Scosche 4 channel line level converter - wally world has the 2 channel, crutchfield has the 4 channel

Main issue I have at the moment is the heat generated by the amps in such a small partially enclosed space (DIY trunk lid). I plan on checking it for a bit to see how bad the heat gets, but more than likely I will put in a crossflow fan or two (scosche makes specific amp fans) to help circulate the air through the tailgate venting and also past the rear seat on either side.

I ran into numerous small annoying issues, not least of which is the wiring diagram by color code i found on this forum is completely wrong (my front to rear fade control left to right channels and vice versa). I will fix this as soon as I get a moment, really easy b/c I left access to the line level converter. If ya'll have any questions let me know.

So anyways, here are the pictures.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good to me... I dont know if you did the hard top plug bypass, if not you should consider it. I did it and my bass was louder and richer. the sound was fuller. I am using a factory head unit too. When I had a pioneer afterfarket in it the sound was very crisp and clear. I love the mygig though. Any plans on how you will use your cubby hole thing?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bigbluejk i think you have the nicest 2dr setup for a sub. it's sleek, sneaky and looks loud. and hard to steal. if i didn't have my basslink that's how i'd go
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
bigbluejk i think you have the nicest 2dr setup for a sub. it's sleek, sneaky and looks loud. and hard to steal. if i didn't have my basslink that's how i'd go
Thanks man! I really appreciate that. Eracer76 has the best 4 door sub box hands down.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 09-04-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
looks good to me... I dont know if you did the hard top plug bypass, if not you should consider it. I did it and my bass was louder and richer. the sound was fuller. I am using a factory head unit too. When I had a pioneer afterfarket in it the sound was very crisp and clear. I love the mygig though. Any plans on how you will use your cubby hole thing?
My trail tool box fits perfectly in the cubby hole, or my laptop bag on work days. No more having to bring a trash bag to keep it from getting soaked.

Not sure what you mean by the plug bypass? I ran new speaker wires from the radio wiring harness to the line level converter, RCAs to the amps, then new speaker wire out to all speakers and the sub.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

When you use the factory head unit there is a little way to improve the sound a tad. The radio is made more bland and has less power without the hardtop plugged in. I didn't notice what top you have. With the hardtop you just bypass the sensor wire at the hardtop plug. If you have a soft top only it is a little more involved.. You have to go behind the instrument panel like I did. The stereo gains volume and depth. If you look at the nitro/ this is messed up thread there is some discussion of it.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

the Rockford Fosgate slim box is sweet.

but i dig the Polk Momo's. how they sound?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Getting ready to put my 3 kicker 12s and my headunit in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3053470745.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	277373  

Quick Reply: 2 door subwoofers?