Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2 door subwoofers?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a custom shop in town designing an enclosure that will mount to the tailgate. I did not want to give up my back seat or the ability to flip the seat. I also wanted to keep the trunk functional. I thought about the Stealth Pod, but when I really thought about it, having a removable enclosure just makes things easier to steal.. If someone gets my stuff, I want them to rip stuff up so I can have a better insurance claim!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

hate to keep trying to sell you JL audio but a guy did a really cool write up on putting a 10" W3 in the stock sub box, would be a decent increase in sound without taking up any space... Search the write up's forum, just a thought for yah!
you could really put any 10 inch sub in that plastic box, only real concern there is it sounding like crap in that small of a box.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jword
hate to keep trying to sell you JL audio but a guy did a really cool write up on putting a 10" W3 in the stock sub box, would be a decent increase in sound without taking up any space... Search the write up's forum, just a thought for yah!
you could really put any 10 inch sub in that plastic box, only real concern there is it sounding like crap in that small of a box.
I put an 8" W3 in the stock box, not a 10.

Here is my write up. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-audio-electronics-119/jl-audio-subwoofer-amplifier-stock-enclosure-41600/
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am literally working on my audio install tonight, just took a break and saw this post. I am installing a single 12" Polk Momo series sub, DVC, in an enclosure I got from EBAY for about $25. I plan on eventually doing dual 12s (same seller has a dual enclosure that will fit) but I wanted to start with the single and see how much I like it.

The trunk cover I purposely made to cover the sub and amps as I rarely have a top on the jeep and didn't want them getting soaked / walking off. I posted the write-up for it here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/diy-2-dr-trunk-%2480-52629/

The amps you see are a 4 channel for the new polks in the front and soundbar and a second amp for the sub. I am still deciding on final placement for the amps and sub, doing this tonight so I'll post pics when i get done, and will try to do a full write-up on it.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sub box for 2dr?

Does anyone have a link to one of the slim fit truck boxes that will fit good in the rear space on a 2 door? Also, anyone have any experience in how waterproof you can make a sub, since i almost never have the back window in and rain can get in there. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Q Logic has some... 10 and 12" that will fit back there. - there will be some room though so may want to plan on having a tie down of some sort to hold it in place ... Hope that helps!... PM me if ya got a question
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you have the sub and everything all wired up, can you let us all know how it sounds being enclosed in an enclosed box and then under that? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I've had many systems over the year and have listened to many systems over the years. Never heard a down firing system I liked. Just causes too much rattle with the ultra low frequencies resonating off the body like that.

The JK is such a poor vehicle for putting a system together, that I figured this would be my best option. Also might turn it around and rear fire. Also considered moving them more behind the seats.

As I said, I really think its impossible to build something that images well in the JK. Best you can do is give it more power and hope the doors don't fly off.

Weather considerations? Don't really see what considerations I need for weather. Don't plan on getting stuck in a downpour.

That all being said, I'm open to suggestion...as I mentioned the design isn't final nor is it complete.
I made a box to mount to my tailgate, it will house a 10" RF woofer. I am "Rhinolining" it tonight, to help it be more stealthy and somewhat waterproof.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sw0cb
Does anyone have a link to one of the slim fit truck boxes that will fit good in the rear space on a 2 door? Also, anyone have any experience in how waterproof you can make a sub, since i almost never have the back window in and rain can get in there. Any help would be appreciated!
I made a box to mount to my tailgate, it will house a 10" RF woofer. I am "Rhinolining" it tonight, to help it be more stealthy and somewhat waterproof.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a good thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/subwoofer-jk-50187/

Quick Reply: 2 door subwoofers?